964 Stuck Fuel Injectors

MartinE

During the car's blue slip inspection to transfer the registration from VIC to NSW I inadvertently washed the inspector instead of the headlights when requested to demonstrate the windscreen washer operation. When PO had the bumper resprayed they obviously installed the headlight washers in reverse so they were pointing forward. Amazing how much water they spray.

Anyway, had a spare few hours on the weekend so removed the front bumper and corrected the headlight washer misalignment (misaligned by 2 meters). While the front was off the car I did the prudent thing and ordered and then replaced the A/C and Oil Cooler ballast resistors. Also noted the drop link boots were split so they are on order (along with another caramello bear).

Put front of car back on, no leftover bits, great.

This morning flushed with success, next job, fuel injector service. Removed half of things in the back of the car, unbolted fuel rails, lift out....lift out...bugger. Used screw driver to gradually lift the fuel rails. Clips let go and injectors stayed put. No way the injectors were going to be dislodged. They would rock, twist, but not come out. I have done this job on previous cars with no problems so am somewhat perplexed.

Any suggestions? 

I did the same thing with mine and the plastic ends that clip on to the injector must get heat affected and i think this caused mine to get stuck, be careful when you pull the injector as two of the plastic caps cracked and almost fell into the intake.

This was my experience i'm certainly no expert, i went to get some new caps from a fuel injector place, the name i can't remember, and he put them on the test bench and 3 out of four were cactus so i just bought 4 brand new ones.

Good luck and be careful you don't lose anything down the intake.

P.S make sure you keep an eye out for any drives in the valley it would be good to meet up.

Archived