Calling all 944 owners

Will

Hi guys, I am in Sydney and have long had my heart set on an original, early 944.

I am hoping to find one that is in good enough condition (and pay a reasonable premium for it) to last for many more years with some tlc, appropriate home wrenching and pro care where necessary.

I have been doing all my homework and found many resources full of inspirational, sage and cautionary advice.

I really would like to contact Australian owners and begin to understand better the local knowledge that serves the 944 network best.

I have had cars from early '80s previously and have an affinity from my youth for this vintage and the shape, interior and style of the 944 more than any other.

Look forward to hearing from some of you 944ers.

Best regards,

Will

Hi guys, I am in Sydney and have long had my heart set on an original, early 944.

I am hoping to find one that is in good enough condition (and pay a reasonable premium for it) to last for many more years with some tlc, appropriate home wrenching and pro care where necessary.

I have been doing all my homework and found many resources full of inspirational, sage and cautionary advice.

I really would like to contact Australian owners and begin to understand better the local knowledge that serves the 944 network best.

I have had cars from early '80s previously and have an affinity from my youth for this vintage and the shape, interior and style of the 944 more than any other.

Look forward to hearing from some of you 944ers.

Best regards,

Will

944s are great cars. Depending on the budget and focus I would suggest a S2 which was the last of the 44s. I had a cab which I really loved. They are a well balanced car. Need to ensure the Cambelts have been replaced in accordance with maintenance specs as if these go the repair cost is substantial. I chipped mine and put coilovers with 968 Clubsports suspension. Handled beautifully. Put fat 17s on BBS rims lowered and chipped. Only problem was grip was so good too hard a start (ie drop clutch at 4k revs) resulted in broken half shafts.

Interior only problem was the breaking of hinge of centre armrest, which I did a few times

Cars are quite competitive in class within PCV and in right hands have performed well in class in rallies.

Good luck.

Knighty

Hey mate

I too also own a 944 S2 Cabriolet! Im only a young 22yrs old and i got mine off my dad as a handme down for my 21st birthday, since then ive fallen in love hard with the car, the way it handles, the sound it makes and just the general driving experience, its just second to none. Like Knight said its really important to make sure you've had the cambelt's changed, also having this car as my daily driver it's not the best with fuel unfortunately, the tank is approx 70-80lts(haha i'm to poor to fill it up) and after a doing a register run of about 3-4hrs hard driving with fellow PCV members i've used roughly half a tank of fuel. However saying that it's worth every penny. Other things to be wary of is when you go to buy your 944 the battery is in the boot on the left hand side, lift up the carpet and have a good look for rust, if the car has had a large knock from the back it might have cracked the battery, exposing the fluids inside which then run down the back fender wall and rust the bottum of the rear fender panel out, if everything looks good, have a look just inside the rear wheel arch near the bottom just behind the wheel and feel underneathe for any hole or rust, that will tell you if it has been in severe rear crash. Other quick things are speaker box's in the door panels suffer alot of damage and so do the seals in between the windows. In regards to performance, chips, magnaflow muff and cat, koni adjustables, pagid pads, slotted rotors are all easy jobs to get done.

Sorry for it being long but better you dont have to deal with the problems from previous careless owners. Octane Magazine - May addition has a 4page spread to buyer guide for the 944 S2

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Will and TB89,

Had an S2 Coupe for 6 years and have done all the options as per Knighty except chipping.LOVE IT !

Can't say I have had any issues with half axles.For Batteries suggest Fullriver dry cell from Extreme Batteries Montrose - have had mine for a year and it eliminates spillage, plus lighter.

Cheers, 9fan.

Hi Will,

I brought my S2 coupe about 2 months ago. I brought it in Melbourne and drove it home that day (7 hour drive). Fantastic car, I really love it.

If the budget stretches that far get an S2, they are just so good to drive. Mine is my everyday car and it does that job brilliantly.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys! Not to mention the enthusiasm...

Well, I think I have done well - now the proud owner of a really sound and well presented 1990 S2, Azurite Blue, Manual coupe.

I'll post some pics for sure as I have only just finished detailing and getting acquainted with her.

Beautiful to drive, so poised and solid, just wants to leap at the road ahead, especially hills.

I think I may have some clutch work to look at.

Will be doing the cam chain tensioner ramps myself.

Belts and pump have been done recently.

Almost full service history with lots of Porsche stamps.

More soon!

Thanks for the replies guys,

Will

Archived