1990 964

Gustaf 911

Just wondering has anyone had experience with replacing valve covers on A 1990 964, I see there's some after market billet ones on the market, just wondering if there's been any issue with them, as my original ones are driving me nuts.

Cheers Gus

The early valve covers are made of magnesium and they corrode. I looked at the billet ones but at the time they were just too expensive, The later OEM 964 valve covers are aluminium and i replaced mine with those and they seem to be fine. I liked the billet covers and they are probably better but I could not justify the cost.

I put on the later aluminium covers. They seem to work ok.  I still have some weepingweeping (a drop or two a week) but I think that's coming from higher than the valve covers. 

The early valve covers are made of magnesium and they corrode. I looked at the billet ones but at the time they were just too expensive, The later OEM 964 valve covers are aluminium and i replaced mine with those and they seem to be fine. I liked the billet covers and they are probably better but I could not justify the cost.

A bit of Info:

Advantages of billet:

• Cost effective in low quantities 
  • High degree of precision 
  • Very short lead times
  • Structurally the parts are stronger

Disadvantages of billet:

• Costs increase as quantities increase 
  • Some designs are not cost effective to machine
  • Some designs cannot be machined from solid billet

Advantages of Casting:

• Cost effective at low quantities 
  • Can produce parts of all sizes
  • Capable of producing uniquely shaped parts 

Disadvantages of Casting:

• Labor intensive 
  • Reduced dimensional accuracy compared to billet
  • Rough surface finish 
  • Imperfections or defects in the metal 

Gus

have you tried a new gasket kit with new washers and nuts? When i did my blue 964, i had the original magnesium covers blasted, coated and used a new kit with everything replaced. 

The previous service centre had put sealant on everything! threads, under the washers, etc...

With the new gasket kit, and the correct torque setting, I was lucky to not have any leaks... But I sold the car a few months later.. only did 2000kms since the new gasket kit went in...

Archived