Mechanic in Launceston, Tasmania

Give Andrew Atkinson @ Goldstar Automotive a call - 0407 830 463 and tell him Ian recommended him. 

Spoke with Andrew and his advice was excellent and helped me to steer clear of a potential lemon, thanks for the tip really excellent guy!!

Hi there, I just wanted to follow up on this as the engine in question is mine! We know Andrew well, Goldstar have checked out some cars we've sold on behalf of prospective buyers, nothing particularly flash, but we've never had any problems so we wanted to get the facts if he was giving folks the impression that either the motor or ourselves were dodgy! It turns out he wasn't; being a premium sort of establishment, Andrew and the Goldstar crew are very particular and are always going to err on the side of caution with a purchase like this. As far as Andrew was made aware, the engine was a completely unknown quantity and a substantial investment (albeit keenly priced for what it is) and he was reluctant to put his name to an engine that he knew nothing about and couldn't hear running. Once he was made aware that we have an excellent service history for the engine and can prove mileage he said that he would have tested it and given it the go ahead if all was well; but Peter never asked about the history or circumstances of the sale so Andrew knew none of this. We have sold quite a few parts to very satisfied Porsche enthusiasts and the car was an excellent and well maintained example; this is an engine we were planning on keeping to put into one of ours if we needed to (in case of the dreaded shaft bearing going on our 996 we thought it wise to keep such a good example around as a spare) but as we are moving interstate we need to trim down our hoarding! I did message Peter to try to find out what his concerns are but he chose not to respond so I wanted to put minds at ease here, Andrew is a great bloke but did not have all the information needed to make an accurate assessment, didn't see the engine and therefore couldn't put his reputation on the line for an expensive purchase, he was a bit put out that the word "lemon" has been thrown around and that he has been implicated in suggesting that there is something wrong with either us or the engine!

Archived