84 911 electrical gremlin, need help !!!

Hi all,

i I have a 84 3.2 Carrera that has decided it doesn't want to go !! I checked power to the fuel pump and it was dead, had an auto elec come and look at it , he reckoned that the Mongoose alarm that was fitted in the 80's would be the problem, so he removed it and still no power to the fuel pump !!!

the car cranks, but has no power to the fuel pump or spark , we can bridge the fuel pump and hear it going but it still won't fire !!

any suggestions before I get it towed to a workshop , it had a new crank angle sensor fitted about 7 years ago .

please help !!!

Have you got power to the other things that run off the ignition switch?

Having lost power to the fuel pump and ignition suggests a supply issue to the switch.  But only a good head scratch over a circuit diagram will identify the common circuit to focus your attention on.

Good luck!

Mr T I think that is a great suggestion given that the DME is about the only other thing that controls power to both the ignition and fuel pump.  Could also be related to a faulty sensor that informs the DME like the crank reference (TDC) or even the cylinder head temp one.

Archived