Fuel Injectors - New or Remanufactured?

Peter M

Has anyone replaced or renewed their injectors on their 3.2 or other similarly equipped '80's car lately?

Results from a UOA indicate that I have a leaky injector.  Not too bad at all but enough to make me think it's time to either replace or have the injectors reconditioned in my 30 year old car.

The '84 to '89 3.2's had Bosch 0 280 150 158 injectors as standard and from what I can gather were not the most reliable of their type and owners commonly replace them with the similar flowing (239cc) and low ohm but more reliable 0 280 150 364's.

However in my search around, getting a set of suitable Bosch injectors isn't necessarily cheap or easy and when talking new replacements the only ones readily available locally it seems are generic ones from AzNew (AZN-158N) or AFI (FIV9048) at around $160 each.

The other approach is to have my injectors reconditioned or reconditioned on an exchange basis but that doesn't seem an easy path as these particular injectors are reasonably uncommon and it is not obvious to me who could be trusted with the job. (I notice some companies in the US refuse to recondition the 158's because they are troublesome.)

Not after a cheap or quick job and happy to pay the going rate. 

I was hoping someone could share their learnings and give me some good advice please?

Thanks

Hi Pete, i replaced mine last year from AFI and got chatting to the fella and he said to me that they can rebuild them but in the long run your probably better getting new ones so that's the way i went. He gave me a very good price compared to everywhere else i had looked, at the time i saved $30 an injector so very cheap. They are located between the old lamp works and the railway crossing on Clyde St near the TAFE.

Archived