Anyone modding their 997.1 turbo?

P

I understood those 6k intercoolers were driven by the cost of using cores that have been designed and manufactured in the US for the aerospace industry as opposed to any Porsche tax.

1st to 2nd torque steer reminds of my mechanics experience in car of mine when he loaded the first revision of a tune after installing some upgraded turbo's and got  a boost spike up to 27psi of the bat on an around the block logging session.  Butt dyno has been down hill ever since as the tune is being dialed in with less boost .  How many revisions are you up to and how many do you expect to fully dial it in.  Have protuning freaks done much tuning with our Ron 98 fuel.  Also high boost, high torque at low to mid rpm range = push limit of stock rods in a 996tt.  Is it similiar for a 997tt (would have thought similiar if 997.1tt with the Megzer engine).

Thinking back you're right about those cores, i glossed over it the first time.

Only onto the scond revision, haven't spoken to him about how many revisions he's expecting but the tuning seems to be safe with the 98RON.  AFR is safe throughout the rev range with minimal knock being seen. 

I also have a twin turbo 350z running 425rwhp @14psi on stock block with the rods being the weak link in the vq35de. Holding up strong atm hopefully remaining that way. I think as long as you don't go nuts with boost and timing causing excessive knock you should be ok for the most part.

Thinking back you're right about those cores, i glossed over it the first time.

Only onto the scond revision, haven't spoken to him about how many revisions he's expecting but the tuning seems to be safe with the 98RON.  AFR is safe throughout the rev range with minimal knock being seen. 

I also have a twin turbo 350z running 425rwhp @14psi on stock block with the rods being the weak link in the vq35de. Holding up strong atm hopefully remaining that way. I think as long as you don't go nuts with boost and timing causing excessive knock you should be ok for the most part.

+1  Manage the boost, timing and torque at the low to mid end of the rpm range and that should cover the rods.  Just need to have confidence in the tuner to deliver on that

What AFR levels are you seeing.  Didn't realize the accessport measures knock retard which is a plus.   Is the Cobb accessport also calibrated to provide indicative HP and Torque values. 

I am assuming you would expect to see circa 480awhp  and be disappointed with anything less given what you have parked next to it for straight line speed

What was the deciding factor/s going with Protuningfreaks?

Lowest AFR is 11.32 at 5800rpm but mostly around the high 11's after about 3500rpm, WOT at 2500rpm is 14.5 with a gradual decline as you get to 3500rpm and pretty steady at that point.

60-90mph time is around 2.2secs and a 60-100mph time of about 2.9secs is being shown on latest tune, will still try and get a bit more out of it. I haven't thoroughly tested the 350z as I'm currently in the process (slowly) of creating a box around the air filter to try and reduce IAT's. I did race a 997 turbo s a couple of months ago in it and it was only just pulling away (don't lnow if thge turbo s had any modifications).

I bought a few items from them and they offered a tuning service when you bought the cobb through them at not much extra. A few people on the american forums spoke highly of them and also my regular tuner on the Gold Coast wouldn't touch the porsche unless I put in a Haltech...

Only after I bought the Cobb and tune did I find out there was a shop in Brisbane that tunes Cobbs but by that stage it was too late. I did speak to him though and the most recent tune on a 997 GT2 with Cobb made decent results so I'm hoping similar. (I understand RWD from AWD debate but extrapolated for drivetrain losses should be similar).

Archived