Anyone modding their 997.1 turbo?

P

Hi, 

Just bought a 997 twin turbo and have already pulled off the turbos and rebuilding. Anyone upgraded the vtgs and tuned in Australia? If so, what specs did you use on the wheels and who did the tuning? Any help would be appreciated as am having a bit if difficulties finding someone in SE qld.

Thanks

Marek

Not personally... But I have spent a bit of time at club meetings talking to Bob Whyms about his Gemballa 996tt, he's pretty well versed in this subject of extracting power from the late TTs.

He is down here in Sydney but I'd at least suggest giving him a call at the workshop to start, very nice fella. 

BWA automotive - 02 9838 7373

Thanks for the info guys, I will follow up on all the advice. Most of the tuners I've spoken to already have deals with performance companies overseas where they will only sell you their spec turbos so not much help if I'm building my own. 

I think it might be better to stay with the normal sized turbos for now and just get them tuned.

Cheers

Thanks for the info guys, I will follow up on all the advice. Most of the tuners I've spoken to already have deals with performance companies overseas where they will only sell you their spec turbos so not much help if I'm building my own. 

I think it might be better to stay with the normal sized turbos for now and just get them tuned.

Cheers

That's because they'll bolt on a turbo and flash it with a tune for that turbo. 

I'd be looking a turbo combos and dyno charts vs stock tunes charts and see where you gain and how much lag you want to deal with. 

I studies many compressor maps and turbine housing maps to get the one i wanted. 

Hi P

You may have already come across them, but based on my research, probably the best three US tuners (all have shops)  that may be able to help are   Todd at Protomotive, Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks or Tony at EPL (European Performance Labs - Facebook page a better reference .   A smokey that just tunes is viper tuning in the UK. 

Thanks guys, I've committed to upgraded intercoolers with cobb accessport tuning and i will go with billet wheels with larger inducer at 45mm as opposed to standard 43.5mm. This setup should net me above 600hp at the engine which I will be happy with for now keeping the vtg system intact.

Thanks guys, I've committed to upgraded intercoolers with cobb accessport tuning and i will go with billet wheels with larger inducer at 45mm as opposed to standard 43.5mm. This setup should net me above 600hp at the engine which I will be happy with for now keeping the vtg system intact.

Which intercoolers (997 gt2 rs?) and out interest who is supplying the billet wheels (are you buying outright and sucking up the core cost).  Also any thoughts on where are going to mount your cobb accessport and do you know the fitting arrangements on how the cradles are mounted in car 

Intercoolers are do88, billet wheels are coming from mr turbo here on the gold coast. Haven't thought about mounting points yet, when i get it I'll do some trial and error for best placement. Probably will be just next to the pcm though. Open to suggestions 

• 2 months later...

I have some VTG's that were upgraded with 68mm Billet wheels, I want to sell them if you haven't already committed, and I don't require your OEM units. You already have a Cobb Tune and can datalog to suit the new bolt ons.

Intercoolers are do88, billet wheels are coming from mr turbo here on the gold coast. Haven't thought about mounting points yet, when i get it I'll do some trial and error for best placement. Probably will be just next to the pcm though. Open to suggestions 

Hi

Any chance of an update on your mods , in particular where you mounted your cobb accessport and your impressions on the cobb tune and degree of user friendliness with the accessport in terms of loading the tune and any logging

Hi

Any chance of an update on your mods , in particular where you mounted your cobb accessport and your impressions on the cobb tune and degree of user friendliness with the accessport in terms of loading the tune and any logging

I can chime in on the Cobb use. It's very easy to use and it doesn't need to be mounted. Plugs into the OBD port and you load the file. 

Same me for logging, plug in and when you're done simply unplug. 

Car is still in the shop unfortunately so no updates. 911GT2 is right though, only really needs to be plugged in when in use.

911GT2 If I knew you had them back in November I would have snapped them up quick. Already rebuilt with the larger wheels though so unfortunately need to settle with smaller wheels. Should get decent power though with the setup as is.

Car is still in the shop unfortunately so no updates. 911GT2 is right though, only really needs to be plugged in when in use.

911GT2 If I knew you had them back in November I would have snapped them up quick. Already rebuilt with the larger wheels though so unfortunately need to settle with smaller wheels. Should get decent power though with the setup as is.

No problem, good luck with your mods and please keep us posted....

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have the porsche back and it's a great beast. I'm in the process of getting it tuned with the cobb accessport via protuningfreaks in Canada which is going well. Once it's all finished i will put it on the dyno to see what power it's making. With the mods they're expecting circa 660hp. 

In response to mounting the cobb, it seems to stay on when plugged in to the obd port whether you have the engine on or not so I've had it in only when i need it. It's a great unit though, very easy to use, responsive and doesn't take long to upload maps (less than a minute).

Finally have the porsche back and it's a great beast. I'm in the process of getting it tuned with the cobb accessport via protuningfreaks in Canada which is going well. Once it's all finished i will put it on the dyno to see what power it's making. With the mods they're expecting circa 660hp. 

In response to mounting the cobb, it seems to stay on when plugged in to the obd port whether you have the engine on or not so I've had it in only when i need it. It's a great unit though, very easy to use, responsive and doesn't take long to upload maps (less than a minute).

Awesome, you must be a happy P owner and the hibernation period was worth the wait.  Looking forward to further butt dyno results / commentary.

Are you going to do any final tune tweaks once on the dyno?

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but I am assuming 660hp is on a happy hp reading US centric dyno. If you put it on a dyno here in Australia (i.e mainline, dyno dynamics) don't be surprised or be disappointed if you see that number you reference drop by at least 10 to 15%.  I reckon 0 to 100km times,  0 to 150km , quarter mile times takes a lot of the happiness put of those dyno results that can be very variable (dyno machine brand, dyno operator, external cooling  fan setup etc)

What I would also be interested in is how those DO88 intercoolers hold up between say run 2 and 3 of  a three run set and if the operator or dyno print outs show any drop off in hp/tq due to the intercoolers suffering any heat soaking whilst on the dyno

In relation to the mounting the Cobb, a little birdy has since advised me that this particular windscreen mount (refer to link) has the same ball adapter as the cobb specific holder and when you marry them together and combine that with a right angled OBD-II adapter so no shoe can catch onto the plug , its a pretty good windscreen solution that is not permanent. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7KGLF8?tag=viglink20664-20

Awesome, you must be a happy P owner and the hibernation period was worth the wait.  Looking forward to further butt dyno results / commentary.

Are you going to do any final tune tweaks once on the dyno?

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but I am assuming 660hp is on a happy hp reading US centric dyno. If you put it on a dyno here in Australia (i.e mainline, dyno dynamics) don't be surprised or be disappointed if you see that number you reference drop by at least 10 to 15%.  I reckon 0 to 100km times,  0 to 150km , quarter mile times takes a lot of the happiness put of those dyno results that can be very variable (dyno machine brand, dyno operator, external cooling  fan setup etc)

What I would also be interested in is how those DO88 intercoolers hold up between say run 2 and 3 of  a three run set and if the operator or dyno print outs show any drop off in hp/tq due to the intercoolers suffering any heat soaking whilst on the dyno

I agree wholeheartedly that that power quote is overestimated, the figure was given by a tuning house in the uk when told about the mods on the motor. 

Taking it down the quarter mile will be the best indicator of performance but for the moment I'm getting torque steer WOT in first (strange i know) so the butt dyno is happy.

I have a feeling the do88 intercoolers will go down in efficiency pretty quickly run after run when on the dyno, will see how they go with heat soak. For my purposes they will work fine as I won't be doing long track days (for now anyway). There was a guy on 6speedonline who custom designed and made what looked like really efficient intercoolers even when heat soaked but atm I can't justify 6k USD... got to love porsche tax.

Good link for the windscreen mount, may look into that.

For now though the rain is hampering further tuning so I might just go do something boring like work instead...

I agree wholeheartedly that that power quote is overestimated, the figure was given by a tuning house in the uk when told about the mods on the motor. 

Taking it down the quarter mile will be the best indicator of performance but for the moment I'm getting torque steer WOT in first (strange i know) so the butt dyno is happy.

I have a feeling the do88 intercoolers will go down in efficiency pretty quickly run after run when on the dyno, will see how they go with heat soak. For my purposes they will work fine as I won't be doing long track days (for now anyway). There was a guy on 6speedonline who custom designed and made what looked like really efficient intercoolers even when heat soaked but atm I can't justify 6k USD... got tt o love porsche tax.

Good link for the windscreen mount, may look into that.

For now though the rain is hampering further tuning so I might just go do something boring like work instead...

I understood those 6k intercoolers were driven by the cost of using cores that have been designed and manufactured in the US for the aerospace industry as opposed to any Porsche tax.

1st to 2nd torque steer reminds of my mechanics experience in car of mine when he loaded the first revision of a tune after installing some upgraded turbo's and got  a boost spike up to 27psi of the bat on an around the block logging session.  Butt dyno has been down hill ever since as the tune is being dialed in with less boost .  How many revisions are you up to and how many do you expect to fully dial it in.  Have protuning freaks done much tuning with our Ron 98 fuel.  Also high boost, high torque at low to mid rpm range = push limit of stock rods in a 996tt.  Is it similiar for a 997tt (would have thought similiar if 997.1tt with the Megzer engine).

Archived