Buying tips for a 928

redgum78

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a 928.

Any buying tips or common problems to look out for would be appreciated.

I know my way around cars but I have had little experience with Porsche.

If this topic already exits could someone put up a link to it?

Thanks

Dan

Welcome Redgum.

You and me both! No personal experience with one but will have soon (one day...)

Cars seem pretty bullet proof, but regular maintenance is paramount. Timing belt/ water pump are big ones to watch for, plus others.

Owners should chime in here soon. Buy the best one you can afford. Are you looking for early or late one?

Goodluck!

I've PMed you, but a good place to start is reading the stickys on the Rennlist 928 forum 

http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/

Cars are typically very bullet proof, but deferred/ delayed / not performed maintenance by previous owners is the thing to watch out for, catchup costs can end up costing more than the purchase price of the car.  If the seller can't provide you with proof that the cam/timing belt has been changed in the last couple of years, then factor that this needs to be changed as a priority as soon as you take ownership.  This is particularly important with the interference engines (all 5.4 l, all 5.0 l and some of the 4.7l I engines).  Water pumps are usually done at the same time.  Also pay attention to anything rubber such as hoses, while there's nothing really wrong with the 928 designn, 30 year old rubber will be gtting close to it's use-by date so factoring such things as new fuel hoses and brake hoses should be seriously considered - there are a number of carbeques reported on the above forum that attest to this.

Rusty ones should be viewed as suspicion, these were galvanised from new.  It's typical to see a small bubble near the corners of the rear triangular windows and around the hatch glass but anything more than that means it may have come from a salty environment (a lot of 928s have been imported into Australia secondhand (including mine!) from such places as the UK, Hong Kong, Japan).

Electrical systems can be a bit annoying, but I'd say that's pretty typical of cars around the 30 years of age region, oxidation on terminals and brittle plastic connectors will not be uncommon.  Most of the climate control system use vacuum as a switching system, so non functional systems will have a vacuum leak somewhere.

One other thing is the front brakes, the rotors are classed as a replaceable item as they wear quite quickly,  I've been told that these typically need to be replaced every second pad change.

As above.

Nothing is to fear , except deferred maintenance.

They are not that hard to work on but it pays to go by the factory manual i.e. not the sort of thing to take to your average corner mechanic.

I've rebuilt the engine harness on mine,  but you can get plug & play replacements.

Brakes and suspension are straightforward. Fuel injection on early and late models was common to other Euro brands of the era. Post 85 cars can get thrust bearing failure , so read up on that. Crank end play should be checked as part of a pre purchase inspection.

Interiors are expensive to refurbish if tired. They were the top of the line Porsche back in the day after all.

Very tough and reliable cars , they really are built like tanks. Happy to discuss if you find a potential one; just pm me.

Thanks for the heads up people....sounds like they are no more troublesome than any other 30yo car. Just more expensive to fix! 

I am not really concerned about which year but suspect something form the eighties will be more in my price bracket.

Thanks for the heads up people....sounds like they are no more troublesome than any other 30yo car. Just more expensive to fix! 

I am not really concerned about which year but suspect something form the eighties will be more in my price bracket.

The 70s ones suffer from some parts availability. 

The 90s ones are certainly more complex and parts can be $$$

The 80s? Early cars only have 16 valves to bend , later ones 32 plus other issues , more complex (ABS for example) and computerised fuel injection.

As always , research pays off . Rennlist 928 forum is amazing and there's not much that hasn't been reverse engineered online.

Always beware a cheap 928!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a a great 928 community in Melbourne, and we meet ad-hoc for runs, as well as larger organised 'Frenzy's'.

Drop me a PM if you would like to check out the next one, best thing is to talk with owners and get to know what to look for.

Beware - once you buy one it will become an obsession! Such great cars.

Archived