BOXSTER REAR WINDOW

Niko

Also asked same question under the BOXSTER/CAYMAN section but will try in this one.

Has anyone who has owned a plastic rear windscreen Boxster ever had the plastic screen replaced by glass?

How did it end up?

Who did, or who do you suggest might do the job?

Any idea of the price to have it converted?

• 2 months later...

Hi Niko,

Never heard of this job being done. My dad's boxter had the rear plastic replaced by Garry Blackman in Richmond ph 9428 0525. This cost around $650 and he did an excellent job. Try calling them to see if it can be done. To get glass rear might involve whole new roof which would be a bit scary and I dare say not worth the $$.

Regards

AndyS

Hi Niko,

The shape of the area (parcel shelf under the roof) that the "plactic" rear glass "folds" on is different to the later car that is fitted with glass, meaning, if you put a "glass" screen in an early car the roof will not fold into postion and would most likley break the glass !

Offcourse that doesn't mean that some company hasn't redisigned a roof to get arounf this issue but Im not aware of one yet.....

Paul Girt

• 2 weeks later...

funny you say that

customer(associate of admin at PCA)had a glass rear window fitted to his"early boxster",

several years ago.

has been maintained by PM,reasonable milage ie couple of services a year.

last year owner decided to grab an "intermediate" service elsewhere

just to check the top of the engine was ,"inaccessable"

how many services? :rolleyes:

anyway the plastic window should outlast the motor

:D

• 1 year later...

Hi Niko,

Never heard of this job being done. My dad's boxter had the rear plastic replaced by Garry Blackman in Richmond ph 9428 0525. This cost around $650 and he did an excellent job. Try calling them to see if it can be done. To get glass rear might involve whole new roof which would be a bit scary and I dare say not worth the $$.

Regards

AndyS

APOLOGIES to you Andy, I have just been trolling the forum topics and realised I had not answered, your reply to me. I still haven't done anything about it but have found by accident a product which brings the plastic window exterior up like new. I was out cleaning the car one day and because I was being a dick head (once again) and not wearing my reading glasses I mistook the AUTOGLYM vinyl & rubber care for the AUTOGLYM glass cleaner. Both in the same sort of bottle, same colour and size. Spread the vinyl and rubber cleaner all over the exterior of the window

left it for a couple of minutes. Put my glasses on to read the instructions and realised what I had done. PANIC....... Immediately got a clean cloth and buffed it off the plastic window. But after that was done the window looked great. Much clearer and with less swirls and marks than it had before I put this stuff on. I have used it a few times since and same result each time. I thought the windown might end up going brittle or turn opaque over time, but so far so good.

Anyway again apologies for my tardiness (fifteen months of tardiness, better late than never I guess) and see you next Sunday for Warragal Breakfast Club.

Hi Niko,

The shape of the area (parcel shelf under the roof) that the "plactic" rear glass "folds" on is different to the later car that is fitted with glass, meaning, if you put a "glass" screen in an early car the roof will not fold into postion and would most likley break the glass !

Offcourse that doesn't mean that some company hasn't redisigned a roof to get arounf this issue but Im not aware of one yet.....

Paul Girt

Thanks Paul, serious apologies also owed to you, for my tardiness. Just going through the different topics on the forum and realised I had not answered you for your help in my request.

Again sincere apologies, and thanks.

Niko

funny you say that

customer(associate of admin at PCA)had a glass rear window fitted to his"early boxster",

several years ago.

has been maintained by PM,reasonable milage ie couple of services a year.

last year owner decided to grab an "intermediate" service elsewhere

just to check the top of the engine was ,"inaccessable"

how many services? :rolleyes:

anyway the plastic window should outlast the motor

:D

Hi Jnr356, I owe you also a sincere and belated apology. Just checking the forums and realised I had not answered your reply as well as a couple of others. 17 months later and here I am. Interesting story, I am assuming by what your saying, that access to the top of engine cannot be done with the glass window. I would be a tad hesitant using PM (not sure who they are) again. Might hang off even longer now, anyway getting to time to maybe swap the yellow coxster for something different, when the sun shines again.

Again serious apologies for being an ignorant p..ck and not getting back to you way back then.

Regards,

Niko

Archived