Driver training with PCNSW

Slocs

Guys, I thought I'd update you on some fun I (and others from PCNSW) had at the Eastern Creek Skidpan. Organised through PCNSW and Driving Solutions (Driving Solutions - Eastern Creek Driver Training - Home), the intent of the evening was to spend 3 odd hours at the skidpan both driving one's own car as well as observing others. Accompanied by an instructor (Anthony or James (an F3, A1GP, and Indy Lite driver)) I got to induce, experience, then recover from understeer, oversteer, lift off oversteer, aquaplaning, and emergency (non-ABS) braking - essentially brake and swerve. Each participant had 8 odd runs at the pan.

End result - bloody awesome!

There were 8 cars attending last night, comprising:

- 996 Turbo Cabrio

- 997 4S

- 2 x 997s

- 993 Turbo

- Boxster S

- Boxster (worked, but unsure if an S or not)

- My old 3.2 Carrera Cabrio

Key out takes for me were:

- How well my car stuck to the wet road, but when it let go it was a real experience!

- How well engineered and predictable these cars are

- How good the electronics are in the modern cars at preventing loss of control/traction

- Driving an old 911 in the rain is a challenge - not because of traction, but because the bloody windows were misting up inside

- How well everyone improved during the course of the evening - there really is no substitute for trying these things out in a controlled environment

It was a great experience, and I recommend it all.

Thanks again to PCNSW and Driving Solutions.

Regards, Rob

Hi Rob,

Sounds like a great experience and really worthwhile to find out what your car is likely to do in those sorts of conditions. I did a Jim Murcott driver training day 15 years ago and it changed my driving style completely. Terrific that PCNSW are doing thinsg like that.

Cheers

Chris

Glad you had a great time Rob. Driver training of this type should be compulsory for every driver in my opinion. When I was 20, many years ago last century, I spent $50 to attend the George Reynolds School at Sandown. George was Formula Vee champ at the time.The $50 lasted for three months, every Saturday, or until you reached the required standard to pass the course (CAMS open competition licence eligibility). Sure it saved me as a young driver and I've never had a road accident in 45 years of driving. Best $50 I ever spent I reckon.

Cheers

Paul M

Archived