Jindabyne - Kosciuszko Road to Charlotte Pass

Davion

Took a day off on Friday and did a long weekend getaway with the missus sometime in Feb/March.

Hands down, for me this is the best driving road in Australia.

- Amazing scenery around especially with the hood down. Hills and landscape and clear lakes.

- Plenty of bends darting around the hills. Gotta be careful not to get too engrossed in the landscape.

- Empty roads. I hear nothing else but my little boxster engine.

- Smooth roads. Its just so smooth, one thing I miss about Perth :( .... Sydney road are the pits.

- Toll fee as its a national park. But thats my excuse to do a little test of acceleration to see if it matches on paper from standstill :P

- Amazing scenery at the end.

We also tried the Alpine Way going from Thredbo to Khancoban. I thought this road was brilliant as we did this before Charlotte Pass. But after driving to Charlotte Pass, I found the latter roads were narrower, with tight and narrow bends. Didn't dare to go too fast as I couldn't see what was around the corner and it was cliffs and blindspots around. It was still a pleasant drive.

P.S: Mt Koscuisko is also a pretty good spot to propose :P

Hands down, for me this is the best driving road in Australia.

Definitely up there! Although, as a cyclist and petrol head, I think the Victorian side has a slight edge, primarily because of the quality of the road surface.

Mt Hotham, Mt Buffalo, Tawonga gap (both sides), and Bright to Albury via Yakandandah. The latter is open farmland with long sweeping corners and great visibility. 

Archived