981 Cayman Ignition On Sound

leong

Hi,

I have just taken delivery of a 981 Cayman. When I turn the ignition on to position 1 a sound (like a relay or actuator engaging) comes from the passenger's door. If the ignition is left on and the car not started, it makes the same sound again in about 20 seconds.

I initially thought it was the window actuator dropping the window down or the door lock engaging/disengaging but it is not.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

I'm so used to the whirs and clicks from my 987.1 that I had to think about this. Definitely the passenger door though right?. That would be the drivers door for its original market. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the doors auto-locking as soon as you drive off. Maybe its running a check (via a relay switch) as it expects you to start up if the ignition key is on. 

If you find out more, let us know. 

Oh yeah, and my inner 11 year old would like to see some pics. Congrats on getting the last of the old 6 cylinders. 

OK found the answer ....... it actually happens to both doors but as I always have the driver's door open when "playing" with the car, I only noticed it on the passenger's door.

When you unlock the car both windows "pre-drop" (as opposed to "fully drop" when the door handle is pulled); when the door is not opened the window then goes back to the sealed position.

I have actually noticed a second thing on the car (its actually a GT4) ........ the bottom of the door has a bracket which fits into a slot in the sill panel. I have not seen this on other Cayman's, additional stiffening ?

(Sorry can't attach pics, the post will not allow me to)

I have actually noticed a second thing on the car (its actually a GT4) ........ the bottom of the door has a bracket which fits into a slot in the sill panel. I have not seen this on other Cayman's, additional stiffening ?

We are getting a few GT4's on our forum, congratulations on the acquisition of a great car.    

I have had the very great pleasure of driving one (Thanks Chris)   

I was amazed how user friendly they are.... the handling is just perfect, as you obviously already know.

Hopefully see you on one of our runs (Sunday Morning Targa's) or a coffee and cars get together.

• 3 weeks later...

The pins and slots are on all 981's.  I was told that they are part of the side intrusion protection, to keep the doors located in the long openings and maintain structural integrity.  But there are several other "theories" on the 'net.

I'm too old to care and too busy having fun every time the door shuts :)

Archived