IMS Bearing Problem

PRW

My primary comment to Wayne re the Pelican article was that it doesn't discuss the whole issue of the method of lubricating the new IMS bearing which is a hot topic on some US-based forums. And that may be as important as what bearing to use.

• Should one use a design with the front and back seals for the bearing and depend on grease as Porsche did?
  • Or should they use a design with one seal omitted/removed and depend on immersion in oil at rest and vapor/splash of the oil at speed? 
  • Or should oil be injected into the bearing, how much, where should it be taken from and what effect might that have on where it is taken from?

Nor does it address the amount of experience the community has with the various designs and suppliers. 

Considering that there must be a dozen options available now (as many as 3 different designs from a single supplier for one generation of the M96) the subject seems IMHO more complex than this article makes it out to be.

I don't have answers to those questions either but I feel that at least the article should have presented the questions as design differences to be considered.

I also thought it could have said more about the different choices for different generations of the M96.

I wish things were simple and there was a difinitive scientific study that led us to the proper choice from among the suppliers and designs, alas there never will be.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived