IMS Bearing Problem

PRW

For piece of mind I think addressing the IMS problem is a must for all 986 / 987 owners who care about their car.  If it goes bang and you get the bill upwards of 15K then you will kick yourself.  2-3 K is nothing, especially if you plan on keeping and enjoying the car for a few years.

If however 15K is pocket change to you and you arent kicking yourself then I feel you probably could have afforded a Porsche that does not have the IMS achilles in the first place.

Upgrade the IMS and change your oil every 5,000 km then just enjoy one of the best value 2nd hand sports car's available.  And by enjoy I do mean keeping the revs up (helps IMS too)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just found a poll on the 986 forum from the US.

Question was...has your Boxster sustained a IMS failure requiring engine replacement.

Answers 43 replies NO.

04 replies YES

Looks like it is probably not as prevalent problem as the forums seem to say it is.

However many replies had said, while the car was getting other engine work done the IMS bearing was replaced even though there had been no problems with it.

Anyway mine is in at JOCARO's at the moment being done as preventative medicine.

Worth the effort Niko. 

The repercussions are horrendous if you are unlucky enough to be caught out.

Put a pretty big wang in the super if you have to replace an engine

What method are they using the LN oil feed or other type?

Dave

Worth the effort Niko. 

The repercussions are horrendous if you are unlucky enough to be caught out.

Put a pretty big wang in the super if you have to replace an engine

What method are they using the LN oil feed or other type?

Dave

I agree Dave, just not worth taking the chance, Especially if your planning to hang on to the car.

I believe I have a series 2 type LN Bearing replacement which is a double rowed bearing and works on the original principal as far as oil feeding goes. As Mike said there are newer ones on the market again, and Amanda has what I believe is the latest replacement kit. With that kit there is a new oil feed system that has to also be installed for the replacement bearing.

I think that is right..

I agree Dave, just not worth taking the chance, Especially if your planning to hang on to the car.

I believe I have a series 2 type LN Bearing replacement which is a double rowed bearing and works on the original principal as far as oil feeding goes. As Mike said there are newer ones on the market again, and Amanda has what I believe is the latest replacement kit. With that kit there is a new oil feed system that has to also be installed for the replacement bearing.

I think that is right..

My understanding is the LN type uses the oil feed.  Looks like it comes off the filter via an adapter.

Doesn't look like a tragically difficult job to perform.

Although on those Boxster's things are tucked away aren't they.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

OK, time for me to jump back in here.

LN and Flat6 Solutions (Charles and Jake) provide several levels of kits.

The first is the simple bearing replacement but that comes in two flavors, the double row and the single row. It is splash/mist oil lubricated and is the cheapest. Earliest cars were double row, 2000-2004 were singles. The dual row engines with LN bearing replacements done right haven't seen IMS failures so why go beyond that in expense. Single row LN bearings are said to be good to about 40k miles and after that should be replaced.

Their best (their statement) is 'the solution' and it is limited as to who can install it and is far more expensive but designed to address the problems of having a single row bearing. It is the one that uses a flat bearing and filtered oil from around the oil filter.

And to be available mid-January is another kit (mid-priced) for the single row engine. Can't reveal details or pricing. But they will give the single row engine owner three price/performance levels from which to choose.

All should be installed by an expert with the right tools.

Yes I have the LN Engineering IMS Solution fitted.  I wouldn't have anyone fit this to my car than a expert in Porsche cars.. and in particular someone with experience with IMS. They had my car quite a few days as it was the first 987 they'd fitted it to (and probably wont do many more either as most of the 987s have the non-servicable bearing)  and encountered a few things that were different to the other M96 engines they'd done earlier.  It's not missed a beat, not dripping oil and I'm very satisfied.

proof_PanoAd_IMSsolution_rev02.jpg

Hi, I am looking to buy 2009 to 2011 Boxster or Cayman. Does these 2 cars has IMS problems?

No.

For future reference, the chronology works as follows:

986 Boxster models: Treat with an appropriate degree of caution, and ideally install an uprated aftermarket bearing with the next clutch change. Appropriate degree of caution does not mean that the car is about to lunch itself, merely that it has a known Achilles heel.

Very early 987 Boxster: The very first 987 series cars used the same M96 engine as the earlier cars. As above.

Most 987.1 cars: These cars had a beefier IMS bearing than their predecessors, and seem to be reliable. In any event, the M97's changed engine design means that IMS bearing removal is an engine out job.

987.2 cars: These cars, from 2008 onwards have DFI (direct fuel injection) engines which have a fundamentally different design with no IMS bearing.

996/997 cars, exactly as above as the 996/7 shares its engine design with the contemporary 986/7.

Great post James.  Very helpful to those trying to get their heads around IMS issues for each model.  

I wish I read a post like that when I first started researching IMS a few years ago!!

+1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I have the LN Engineering IMS Solution fitted. I wouldn't have anyone fit this to my car than a expert in Porsche cars.. and in particular someone with experience with IMS. They had my car quite a few days as it was the first 987 they'd fitted it to (and probably wont do many more either as most of the 987s have the non-servicable bearing) and encountered a few things that were different to the other M96 engines they'd done earlier. It's not missed a beat, not dripping oil and I'm very satisfied.

proof_PanoAd_IMSsolution_rev02.jpg

Have decided to do the same Amanda, car left this morning on a tow truck for the water pump replacement.

Weighed it all up & decided it needed to be done, small price to pay for peace of mind & NEVER have to worry about it again.

My beloved turned 100,000 on the SMT last weekend and as I promised myself, I've booked it in for replacement clutch and IMS, plus one or two other jobs.  I'll be going with the replacement bearing rather than the "solution".

Have decided to do the same Amanda, car left this morning on a tow truck for the water pump replacement.

Weighed it all up & decided it needed to be done, small price to pay for peace of mind & NEVER have to worry about it again.

Good stuff Nix. Who is doing the install for you?

My beloved turned 100,000 on the SMT last weekend and as I promised myself, I've booked it in for replacement clutch and IMS, plus one or two other jobs.  I'll be going with the replacement bearing rather than the "solution".

Happy Birdsday to the CAVERBOX.    

Without intending to open a can of worms......any reason why you are going with the bearing and not the "solution"

I only ask because I know you don't short cut or do things in halves.   

Happy Birdsday to the CAVERBOX.    

Without intending to open a can of worms......any reason why you are going with the bearing and not the "solution"

I only ask because I know you don't short cut or do things in halves.

Yeh I want to know this to!

Go on Niko, open the can of worms, let's get the IMS issue revved up again! David will definitely give a considered explanation.

see below....

Mmmmffffmmm!!

uhhhmmmm....!!

yes thats considered!    :P  ;)  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

So maybe Cavey isn't keeping his car long term?  Or wants to save some $ given all the other work he's having done  or maybe he thinks the bearing is fine given the OEM did 100k already and knows the ceramic bearing will probably last longer????

Archived