944 Racing

944racer

Hello, all. I am a 944 racer with 2 1988 944's (both red) that are dedicated race cars. They are 2.5l n.a. engines. I am looking for some information and help in finding a part.

I have been told Australian 944's had a coding plug that plugs into the wiring harness just above where it attaches to the ECU and that the coding plug changed the map in the ECU chip from one to a second one that was used by Porsche in Japan and Australia. I have no way to know if that is true so I am coming to you for verification of this. I do know that my harness has a plug in this spot that does not have anything in it and a coding plug is shown in the PET but it does not clarify if this item is only for the Australia and Japan markets.

If, in fact, the above information is true, I would like to find a source for one of these coding plugs (actually several of them). New or used would be fine. I did see a referal to Aporcheapart in another thread and will try to find an e-mail address for them and contact them.

Any information and assistance would be appreciated with this request.

I live and race in California and would love to meet any of you 944 types if you are visiting in the area. If it happened to be on a race weekend, so much the better. You can have a ride in my car. A weekend at Infinion Raceway, in Sonoma (our wine country) is a wonderful experience.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jim "Big Dog" Foxx

Greetings Jim,

...and welcome. The PFA boys are a friendly lot, a bit addicted to coffe, their P. cars and retaining their driver's licence.

Great to see that US 944s are doing best - testing the tarmac.

With regards to your query - shall we rule out an OBD connection first. My 1989 S2 does not have that connection so anything earlier will not have it as well. Remember that the market for this model was limited here in Australia and all the imported - Porsche Australia had to do was comply with the Australian Design Regulations at that time.

I was not aware that '44s had a separate ECU socket just for Japan and Australia. There has been much talk about re-mapping the chip on an S2. The consensus seems to be that the $'s spent return little.

The local '44s racers here use a Motec control ECU across all cars in that category. More about that here. These fellas are well clued up on making a 944 go fast.

I have never seen any reference to a second data port on the ECU - (Note to self "pull the passenger carpet and investigate)".

All the best. - we need pics.

rEd

I have been told Australian 944's had a coding plug that plugs into the wiring harness just above where it attaches to the ECU and that the coding plug changed the map in the ECU chip from one to a second one that was used by Porsche in Japan and Australia...

Jim "Big Dog" Foxx

Hi Jim

I did some asking around, and there doesn't seem to have been a different fuelling/ignition map for Australian cars.

James "Two Dogs" Reinhardt

Hi Jim

If you use the 'More Reply Options' button you will get a button to allow you to choose files and attach them to your post.

Else you can use the 'More Reply Options' button and use the icon that looks like a picture of a tree to link to an image elsewhere on the web.

Two Dogs (and they're both pretty large)

• 4 months later...

Aussie cars are ROW(rest of world cars) and so often had different emission standards to US cars. I know earlier ROW 944s had more HP to equivalent US models but don't think it was via a plug in. I think the DME was programmed differently(via chip)

Archived