Track Wheel Sizes - Help Appreciated

itsujack

In a couple of weeks I'll be taking the Spyder to a Burrows Day at SMP. It is currently running brand new road tyres on the stock wheels, which I fear will be worse for wear at the end of the day so was thinking about another set. As it happens I have a spare set of OZ wheels and tyres that are a little too big for the 964 (need guards rolled which I didn't want to do), that may just work on the Spyder. They are 18in whereas the Spyder standard wheel is 19in. I've run front and back wheels through the wheel fitment calculator and below are the results. Fronts look pretty close, but rear has a diameter difference of 25mm.

My question is, do people see issues in running these wheels and tyres over the stock ones? Appreciate any thoughts.

SPY_20161010_011_zpsaqeq0vrh.jpg

And here are the wheels in question on the 964.

1990_964_C4_001_zpsiml0xlqe.jpg

The numbers indicate you aren't far off.  Both cases the wheel is clear of the suspension and you're only 2mm closer to the rear wheel arch.  Smaller diameter rear wheel will help clearance and improve acceleration-winner! 

Time to get your hands dirty and fit the wheels. Check the inside wheel clearance to the brake calipers too.  This is the only way to be sure.  

The numbers indicate you aren't far off.  Both cases the wheel is clear of the suspension and you're only 2mm closer to the rear wheel arch.  Smaller diameter rear wheel will help clearance and improve acceleration-winner! 

Time to get your hands dirty and fit the wheels. Check the inside wheel clearance to the brake calipers too.  This is the only way to be sure.  

Thanks Harv, all good points. I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

You need a 265 40 R18 on the rears to match the original size. 

Yep, that's what I was thinking for the next set. Hmmm new tires, choices choices...

My only concern would be with a potential ABS issue due to changing the ratio of front to rear overall diameter but its only around 2.5% and probably will be fine.

Good point, I'll put them on this weekend and do a little test run first, see if any issues arise.

Thanks for the tips guys, appreciated!

Archived