986 roof jambing

Robert B

Hi Guy's - first post so be kind. I have a 1998 Boxster 986 which has an intermittent roof closing problem. It stops about 100mm from shut. If I leave it a while it comes good and I'm pretty sure it is a mechanical issue. When I looked at the mechanism the push rod bushes seem chewed up resulting in a fair bit of play. Anybody had a similar experience, is there much involved in changing the bushes if that is the cause?

I live in Albany, can anyone recommend a competent convertible roof repairer either locally or in Perth?    Opinions on the best place for general mechanical work on Boxsters in Perth would also be appreciated.

Cheers, Robert.

Welcome Robert, Can't help you with your roof problem, but it sounds like your on the right track.

If Caver is picking this post up he might be able to advise you more.   I know he has played about with his a bit. (err the roof I mean)

He has converted his 986 to be able to open/close the roof while still moving, so hopefully he knows a bit that might help. 

As far as a workshop to go to,  unfortunately we don't have a lot of sandgropers on the forum as yet.  

Hopefully someone from the wild west will chime in on that one for you too.   Wouldn't expect there would be much Porsche experience in Albany.

Good luck with the roof, and keep us informed as to how you end up.

Good advice Niko - might add to this as well 

...   I would buzz the boys at Autohaus in Sydney (02 9417 0911) and see if they have a "friendly" counterpart they can push you towards in WA - I also have no doubt they will give you some guidance over the phone Robert B on your roof issue 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, thanks for the response. I've sourced the rubber bushes for the roof push rods locally (Chellingworth Motors in Nedlands), cost $10ea which I thought was good considering Pelican Parts has them for $6 but then you have to pay a big hit for freight from the UK.  Plan is to install this week and see if it does the trick. I'll let you know.

Front plate.jpg

Archived