Price advice for LHD 911SC Targa

13 times more expensive than your current 2 cars with a budget of 12-20K?

Reminds me of when I owned 2 120y Datsun's at $400 a pop ...mind you when I finished with the white one it was capable of high 12 second quarter miles on retreads...... Now that was scary!

Got a pic of your new girl?

Congrats.

I remember the police snapping a Datson 120Y doing supposedly 180-200k on the western ring road,... they decided to cancel the fine because they couldn't believe it.))) haha. Reading your post, now I wonder if it was you!

Good work Hezath. Make sure you get your paper work in early for customs clearance, quarantine etc. You don't want it sitting there when it arrives. And do hound people )) it pays. Now you've had experience with DOTARS. It can be as scary with customs brokers etc.

Make sure you don't do too many chap laps on your club plates :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I found the photos and will upload them monday. It was done as a joke /dare. I imported a FJ20Turbo from Japan and got it professionally wired up to a EMS computer to run the thing. Driveline was a 1 tone clutch turning a HoldenHQ tail shaft running back to aFiat 132 diff with 4.3 ratios which we opened up and welded up to achieve a locker diff. Dangerous as hell in the wet with the car more than once promptly doing a 180 degree flick as the boost came on when accelerating hard on a road with a high degree of camber. Car was boosted up to 11 pounds and ran an intercooler larger than the entire front of the car. Believe it or not once I got the brakes and struts updated with ones i bought from a wrecker of the "higher spec" Datsun Stanza it was fully engineered and road worthy. Weighed in at 820 kg on the weigh bridge.

First run down the quarter it did a 13.3 second pass with top speed within this time being just under 180 km/h. This was done on 145 wide retreads (locker diff chewed through a set every couple of months so cash was limited ). Threw on some slicks as you will see in the photos Monday and I blew the diff, next time out struggled with axle tramp so welded up the leafs out the back. Third time to the creek ran a high twelve however broke the rear leafs. At this point I stopped taking down the quarter mile at Eastern creek as it was also my daily driver and needed it for work.

Sold it for $6500 which was a bargain given the performance and wish I still had it as there is not a hope in he'll you would be allowed to do this today. With a bit of tuning in suspension my suspension tuning was limited to welding anything and everything up) it would easily crack a 11 second barrier I was told by the performance centre that wired and tuned the car. A total sleeper and even boasted the original steering wheel which would be more at home on a boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a fair weapon to say the least hahaha. Chuck those photos up if you get a chance.

After a series of delays, the car is in Melbourne and basically the container is being unloaded at the moment.

Picked this up last night

314733_10151054284283711_2080881993_n.jpg

So lost haha, so many questions, about how you do everything and what everything does, but very impressed with the performance & presentation of the car.

Fantastic. Congratulations.

It is such a buzz getting your first Porka.

Any questions, just ask. You have a wealth of information on this forum.

I assume that you will join the next Melbourne SMT so we can get a better look of your baby!!

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance... SMT? Some kind of regular event? I definitely want to bring it out amongst some other Porsches and compare/talk shit etc. I have a lot to learn with the new marque

The targa top seems to be missing the 'levers' and one of the sockets that the levers goes into is broken as well. That is making it a pain to get the top on and off easily (will need to carry around some tools until I sort that out).

Do these cars have parkers at all? I can turn headlights on with one click, high beams with a second and when the headlights are on I can turn the foglights on and off. Haven't stuffed around with it enough to look at the flasher situation yet, bit too focussed on driving a LHD car for the first time in peak hour haha. Because mine is a US car it has side markers in all four corners. I've discovered the parking side light things when you put the indicator on with the car off.

The wipers are a bit funny. I guess the switch is no good? Last night they were stopping and starting in the middle of the windscreen and stuff, now they are running smoothly and I can't turn them off unless the ignition is off. What is the function of the wiper switch? And how do you use the squirter?

The oil level gauge doesn't seem to work, or if it does, it is intermittent. But the oil pressure gauge seems consistently good and responsive, there is a fair bit of oil in the tank.

When I was driving it home last night, the indicator arrow lights in the instrument cluster were dimly lit which suggested that something wasn't quite right behind the dash, and the tacho had a bit of fluttering around occasionally. The idle also hunts sometimes, but is fine most of the time. It is a '75 S with an '81 SC motor and it has a hand throttle which is hooked up, down next to the handbrake.

I think the fuel 'tune' isn't bad because I had my mate in the GT behind me and he said there was no fuel smoke at any point.

Struts for the trunk lid are cactus, it just falls down.

Shift knob came off in my hand haha, need to look at the grub screw arrangement there.

The weather isn't much chop, going to take it to my mate's garage soon and try and get it on the hoist for a better look at things.

Welcome to the Porker ownership club.

Sounds like you have a few gremlins to iron out. Sometimes these things happen when the car has been sitting around for a while.

SMT = Sunday Morning Targa.

I am not sure if some of the issues you are expereinceing are b/c the car is US delivered, but with regard to parkers pulling our the headlight switch once for parkers, twice for headlights and highbeam from the stalk works on the E and 3.2.

Oil guage/level should be read only when the engine is at running temperature and only after the car has been idling for around 30 seconds and the car is on level ground. The oil and pressure guages will bounce around between idle and acceleration.

The struts need replacing pretty regularly.

Enjoy the journey.

Hezath congratulations on finally receiving your car - almost as eagerly anticipated as the Olympics on now for you I'm sure.

Mate first thin I did was bought a couple of books - The Essential 911 (see eBay for a few sellers - I found a couple to be quite cheap) and 101 things to do to your Porsche was another giving tips into all things from electricals to oil changes to full rebuilds.

Wealth of great reading which you can always ask further questions on this site for clarification.

I've found the electrical section in the Essential Guide valuable.

Got any more pics especially from the back as I like that tail

Sunday Morning Targa... sounds damn good, not gonna bring it on an unreg permit though haha. How often does that happen and what location do you normally meet and head for?

Struts... are these as good as any?

http://www.ebay.com....=item2ec0580b6d

Is it worth trying to get my existing ones re-pumped up or anything?

Oil level gauge works intermittently, pressure gauge works consistently.

I've got the regular wipers to turn on and off and go faster and slower, rebuilding the washer system ATM (need to get some more hose tomorrow), what does the wiper switch on the dash do? Whatever it's supposed to do, it's misbehaving on my car!

Fixed up the targa top a bit today as well. Might start a proper thread now that I'm home

As Doug said. Just a few gremlins to iron out.

It's all part of the fun!

My knowledge is a little limited on this year, but there is so much info here and on the net.

Pelican Parts in the US have an amazing range of parts.

Last SMT was last Sunday. They seem to happen when the weather is reasonable and someone suggests a run!

Archived