Dyno result

944s2cab

So I've been reading during the holidays about our (944) engines and one thing that struck me was how the hell are they still running, I mean what with belts, Chains, pads, valves, valve springs, piston slap, corroded heads, etc etc etc it's amazing that there are any left!!!!

So I thought I'd put mine on a dyno to see how many ponnies (KW to you Aussies,) it has lost in 25+ years, Well with an estimated 17% transmission loss it equates to around 150KW at the flywheel so a loss of just 5KW 

I reckon that's a good result,

What do people think?

As a side note I may get it re-tested once I receive my FR Wilk chip

Dyno run 11:01:17....jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

What do people think?

Dyno run 11:01:17....jpeg

I think you've captured the legendary drivability of the 944 S2 in two graphs!

That torque curve is a thing of beauty...

And I agree these engines were built to last. My engine burns less than 1 litre of oil between oil changes -- only ever Mobil 1 5w50 @ 10,000kms or so. Oils still looks great when it comes out... not even black!  I almost feel guilty sending it off to the recycler. (I know the handbook says every 20,000 kms for an S2 oil change, and I actually believe it would be fine if using a good synthetic like Mobil 1, but it also specifies 10K oil change intervals for the Turbos. So if it's good enough for the Turbos... :D )

The "gotcha" for the S2 engines is forgetting they need to have the cam chains tensioner pads inspected and replaced every now and then (I'd suggest every 100,000kms. I'm not sure if there is a factory recommended number for it.) When I did mine I surprised to see very little wear -- replaced anyway, of course.

But apart from that, replace the belts and waterpump on schedule, change the oil using the good stuff, and they just keep going! Brilliant engines...

Archived