Switching Thermo Fans on earlier.

Pokiou

Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to get some knowledge in regards to a project im thinking of undertaking on my car. I know people make a swtich to turn the thermo fans on when ever they want. However has anyone ever used a product that makes the fans come on earlier automatically? 

for example:

a Davies Craig thermo fan switch?

Cheers,

no ecu modifications are needed ? Just simply change the thermo sensor and that's it?? it cant be that simple.

Pok.

Sometimes things are more complicated than they need to be because we expect them to be .......

It's worth exploring the easy option first .... :)

no ecu modifications are needed ? Just simply change the thermo sensor and that's it?? it cant be that simple.

Pok.

Sorry, I just assumed you had already done some investigation and were just asking about thermo switches.

First, dig out the wiring diagram for the fans for your car and see how the cooling fans are managed.   Are the radiators and the AC condensers ganged?  If so you need to consider how maintain this AC triggered function.  

If the ecu is involved and the fans are not triggered by a simple on/off thermal switch that can be changed to a lower temperature type, you could consider installing a parallel power supply to the fans.  This would require an additional fused power lead and relay that is triggered via a new extra thermo switch that operates at the temperature you want.  This would still maintains the ECU/AC control of the original relay. 

You may find a place in the existing cooling system where this extra thermo switch could be installed if there is a spare threaded plug in the block or head.  Alternatively I recall Davis make a fitting that installs in an existing "hot" side radiator hose by cutting an inch or so from the hose.

If you want the engine to run cooler you will also need to change the thermostat.

Can I ask what "problem" you are trying to solve?

Well atm i have the 71c thermostat on the 996. She runs fine, but i want the fans to kick in earlier rather t\an the 100c. Id like it to kick in on slow at 95c and high speed at 105c.

I have a feeling its all controller by the DME :(

Aren't these fans two speed?  Are you sure the low speed ballast resistor and/or relay hasn't failed and this is delaying the fan coming on? 

Also, aren't you running the risk of not getting the engine oil hot enough with such a low thermostat opening temperature?

The fans work perfectly fine. low speed and high speed. However i want them to turn on sooner rather then wait for it to get to hot. I dont want to make switches to turn on my self but more so automated. I did look at the Davies ones and they look good however im not sure which one would do the trick :(.

Ok, if you can find a circuit diagram, I'm sure someone can tell you what to do.

Have you done a search of Rennlist as I'm sure someone's done this before if this is a common issue.

Still think you're running the engine to cold!:)

Archived