Rust repairs on my 911

Stew F

I've started on my fender resto. It's a bit of a mad rush, with being away in Queensland, work hours, and other things. Then the tassie tour at the end of march. So I have to get cracking. Fender is at the panel shop for some reshaping around the wheel arch and a small rust repair. My original fender was too far gone for this time around. It was pretty well rusted out along the hood flange, and a big hole at the bottom near the door..I'll repair it at my leisure and keep it for a spare.

So, after removing the panel (5 fkn hours and numerous cuts and abrasions later), there's some surface rust and minor pitting on the body.  A thorough cleaning with a stripping disc and wire brush, and an application of Rust Prime converter and sealer from supercheap, and she looketh like this. It converts the rust to a phosphate coating, then you can prime and paint over it. 

20170204_173344_zps14iyjqrm.jpg

So under the left fender there are 2 pipes, 1 of which wasn't connected to anything. The small one went to the washer reservoir. The other is a bigger hose - 10mm ID. Fuel tank breather? Does it connect to the plastic container that sits above the washer tank? 

20170204_170641_zpscbjqoaxi.jpg

20170204_170624_zpsaupal53t.jpg

On my ROW 81SC, both of the pipes under the mudguard connect to the black expansion tank that is mounted above the washer fluid reservoir via rubber hoses.

The large size pipe passes through into the front trunk area, it connects to the white/clear 3 outlet expansion tank. This expansion tank connects between the fuel filler neck pipe & the breather connector pipe on the fuel tank.

Once the smaller size pipe passes through into the front trunk area, it then connects to another hose that runs out the front of the car behind the front bumper.

The PET has a good drawing of the fuel tank breather setup. I can post some photos of my car if that helps you Stew.

20170204_170624_zpsaupal53t.jpg

The 2 hoses from my expansion tank run to the 2 steel pipes in your photo Stew.

washer%20bottle%20area%20amp%20expansion

The small pipe inside the front trunk runs out to the front via a rubber hose. See photo, vertical hose running through rubber grommet with a cap on the end, the one secured with the metal tab.

front%20bumper%20area%205.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I picked my fender up from the body shop on Saturday.  They did a great job - Adelaide Hills Panel Works at Nairne.  The owner is a Porsche owner himself - he has a 911SC. Now I have to get paint on it, and repaint the sills and the front valance, then put it all back together.  Then put the side decals on, and drive it.

20170211_102730_zps1euja7it.jpg

20170211_102737_zpsgsppn9rr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived