928 1982 Alarm Problem - it does not turn off - operator error??

foxint

Hi Guys

Since we are all locals and have Aust Delivered cars (RHD)...I was hoping someone could enlighten me.

1982 928 Base model.... The key only opens/closed from the LHS. When I lock the car, I am assuming it loads/energises the alarm. I unlock the car, turning the key anti-clockwise, it unlocks and make some noise. I open the door and and the alarm goes off. It stops I lock it and try again. I can open both doors RHS first (alarm) LHS first (alarm), tailgate (alarm). I thought I had it worked out....unlock from the LHS, walk to the right and open the RHS door...still the alarm goes off.

Operator Error???

Yes I must be an idiot...what should I do.

Dan

Hi Guys

Since we are all locals and have Aust Delivered cars (RHD)...I was hoping someone could enlighten me.

1982 928 Base model.... The key only opens/closed from the LHS. When I lock the car, I am assuming it loads/energises the alarm. I unlock the car, turning the key anti-clockwise, it unlocks and make some noise. I open the door and and the alarm goes off. It stops I lock it and try again. I can open both doors RHS first (alarm) LHS first (alarm), tailgate (alarm). I thought I had it worked out....unlock from the LHS, walk to the right and open the RHS door...still the alarm goes off.

Operator Error???

Yes I must be an idiot...what should I do.

Dan

Tear out the alarm!.  They're more trouble than they're worth.  I once got stuck in Euroa for 2 hours when the alarm decided it needed a nice lie down ...

Often its because the way in which they were initially installed so worth looking at how it was wired in in the first place.  Lots of butchers out there pretending to be alarm installers ...

Thanks for all your replies.

Seems like the overwhelming idea is rip it out…I like to keep things original (or period upgrade).

Dreamr – Sir I do not have a remote only a key. Should I have a remote?

Skidmarks – Thank you. I plan to take the car to Sydney next week and I will ask the guy to have a look at the alarm. I am in the bush and no 928’s here….

ANF – So it is supposed to lock/unlock from the RHS door?

Thanks guys.

Yes, unlock/ lock from drivers door.

Do you have an owners manual? It is spelled out in there about the alarm, mine is an S, but I would have thought the same (mine does not have an alarm but info is in the book).

It says you need the special "S" key to lock and arm the alarm. The "S" key looks to be longer? Alarm will not arm with the standard key.

HI ANF

Sorry mate no owners manual. I am a new owner and this valuable piece of kit did not make it. I have a lot of keys...is there an easy way to know if I have a S-key. Or is the S-key only for the 928S?

The RHS lock does nothing. I thought it may be a "special" feature on RHD cars...This is my 1st 928.

I did notice this afternoon. I unlocked the car and left it open for 10 mins - the alarm did not go off...brilliant...well not really practical, if one needs to open the door and drive away.

Just going to duck out for 15mins...in the Camry....

Archived