I am thinking of doing a Great Ocean Road outing with Mrs Phil in a few weeks (may even make it an over nighter in Lorne or Apollo Bay) and loop back via an inland route.  Does anyone have any (sealed roads only) suggested must do favourite roads that I could explore on the journey?   The trip to Apollo Bay will be easy as I will go via the Great Ocean Road with the top down.  It is the return trip back to Melbourne that I wish to vary.  A nice place to have lunch on the way back would be good too. I was thinking of coming back via Hamilton and I have been advised the Willaura Bakery (between Hamilton and Balarat) is a must do for a pie and vanilla slice, but I am open to all suggestions.  It will be mid week to avoid all the weekend traffic jams on the Great Ocean Road.

Hi @Lucky Phil, I drive down this way most weekends from Geelong. 

After getting to Apollo Bay I usually continue along the GOR until reaching reach Lavers Hill. From here I turn back inland through Beech Forest and along Turton's Track which @Sam Ball mentioned.

If you're planning on heading out as far as Hamilton, it may be best to follow the GOR all the way to Pt Campbell or even Warrnambool.

If you want to head north sooner, I have traveled the road from Forrest to Colac and it is quite nice.

Pics below are of the picturesque Turtons Track. Very narrow and only 40km/hr. Covered in leaves and bark, but sealed the whole way. Just watch for oncoming traffic!

dYepJ96.jpgyLDGQue.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived