944 paint

DC242

tD7U2vJust interested in confirming that the paint on a 1988 944s is acrylic and not 2 pak. I'm not sure where the paint code is but the car is straight white.

The paint overall looks original with the bonnet paint getting thin on the edges, years of polishing I assume. If I attempt any repairs I'd like it to match. If it is acrylic, anyone have any recommendations for any paint shops around SE Melbourne that still use it.

That's a really good question and I'd love to know the answer to it as well ...

We are looking at a windows out, full respray to Jr's 1986 944 and would also like to do the same paint finish as per factory ...

Porsche used single stage BASF Glasurit paint in the 80,s  I think it is an acrylic ,,,,but I have seen 928 and 944 done in metallic colors that looked like they have clear coat on them ,,,not sure if this was original paint or the cars had been repainted ..  or Porsche may have used different types of paint for metallic cars ..

Having painted one car in acrylic, it was a metallic base with clear coat. For solid colours, no clear is required as far as I know. I believe thinner based paints were starting to change over to water based around this time but what was used by Porsche in 1988 is what I'm trying to establish.

Is the paint code recorded on the car somewhere?

Archived