Rear Quarter Panel Replament

rminc

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have a photo of how an unreplaced SC or 3.2 rear quarter panel is attached and glued. Both sections would be great (top and bottom of the side of the engine bay) 

Every car I've looked at has been quite different. I just thought that maybe they weren't all the same from Porsche as I've seen some really good ones while others were obvious. Then today I saw a car with under 80,000kms and both sides are identical so I'm guessing all the cars I looked at prior to this one would have had the panel replaced or a section done due to past accident history. 

That being said I saw an 84 model that looked a bit shonky, but both sides were identical at least.

Don't forget that when they were made they didn't have the luxury of CAD software and CNC machines. Additionally, the steel we use these days is a lot better quality and consistency.  Look at pretty much any old car and you'll see imperfections. These days, it's dead easy to make things symmetrical. 

That's true. Was there at all constancy though in the process? You'd expect that both sides would still be basically almost identical to the naked eye. I'm just trying to to determine if there is an easy way to figure out if the panel has been changed. 

Surprisingly, or not, older cars can be quite different from side to side.  Even modern cars can be. The VT Commodore sedan rear footwells are 8mm difference in depth left to right. So they put more polyurethane on the underside of the carpet to compensate. 

Pre CNC, the dies were made on a Keller profiling machine using a 3D wooden pattern as a template. Needless to say, all these templates were hand made from hand made drawings, sometimes using templates taken from a clay model.  Then they were bedded in by hand. Then as Peter said, lead filler applied to fill panel seams and try and even it up. Some panels were made in sections.  This shit is my thing. I grew up in the auto industry.  Stew the toolmaker, son of Werner the toolmaker, grandson of Josef the toolmaker.  Yes, my destiny was etched in stone.

I think the only way to check if it's been replaced is to check the panel flanges. You'd have to clear off the underbody sealer and look at the spot welds. 

I've seen quite a few pics now with low km cars. You can definitely tell if they've been done. Although there is some slight variance, they're all consistent with the sealer and alignment. I've seen 4 cars now and the only one that is consistent and I'm confident that neither panel has been replaced is an example with 80,000kms. 

Archived