944 Sunroof has a mind of its own!

SteveF

Good afternoon all,

I hope that someone may be able to assist with an issue I am having with my '86 model 944. It all started last week when I tried to close my sunroof but it wouldn't close. When I put the ignition key in the Accessory position I can open and lower the sunroof fine. When I turn the ignition key to open it will open but not close. Then with the sunroof closed if I go for a drive it automatically opens.

This weekend I went through the Clarks Garage troubleshooting guide but not having any luck. I have checked the sunroof motor, relay, switch on the lower dash, fuses, directional relays and all seems good. I have come to the conclusion that it is something to do with the limit switches and the sunroof not properly locking so either a broken limit switch or something needs adjusting. . Limited switch shown with the yellow arrow here:

pic04.jpg

I have tried to adjust the limit switches which slide back and forth along the cable guide but no success. I couldn't see a way to take these out without having to remove the entire cable guide which I would prefer not to do at this stage unless absolutely necessary. The other strange thing is that I have the updated model with the new dash but what looks to be the previous model sunroof setup. My car is a very early series two so maybe that is why.

May I ask if anyone has any thoughts on how to progress with this one it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Have you tried having a look at the switch up between the sun visors.  That one, if I recall correctly (it's been a few years since I did this) tells the car whether or not the sunroof is fitted.

Why Porsche bothered bringing the sunroof cars into Oz escapes me...

Thanks Rob. That is the only place I didn't look of course!! When I was reading the documentation because it was left open I read it to mean that this wouldn't be an issue. I must have misread it, will take a look and report back.

Thanks as always.

Steve

Thanks Corki. Great to hear from you.

I had a look at the micro switch this evening and it appears to be okay because I could hear the clicking sound from it so I imagine this means it is working.  I may need to pull it out to double check.At the moment the sunroof does close but it isn't locking so I can push it up from the inside and pull it out.  I suspect that the issue has something to do with where the under bonnet relay goes because when I tested it with Caver the reading was lower that what the Clarks Garage guide said. More testing to be done. I'm sure we'll get to the source eventually. Despite being frustrating it is interesting to learn more about the car.

Are you going to the German Day in a couple of weeks? Would be good to catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

All fixed. Ended up being a combination of the micro switch between the sun visors and the nylon centre block in the drive mechanism had come apart. Car was down at Buchanan's for a replacement of the steering shaft so Bruce & Sean were able to have a look at it. Apparently it is rare to see a version 1 sunroof from a 944 still in working order!

Archived