944S Gear shift boot

FAP911

Just replacing the rubber inner gear shift boot! I can see how the rubber goes around the lip no problem but does it actually affix to the lever? Or is it just a insulator between the leather boot

If so How ???

Thanks

On a pre 85.5 (like my 924) it just attaches to the body (over the lip) and runs up to the base of the gear knob. It's there for sound insulation, and keep any fumes out.

9 hours ago, XLR8 said:

On a pre 85.5 (like my 924) it just attaches to the body (over the lip) and runs up to the base of the gear knob. It's there for sound insulation, and keep any fumes out.

Thank You - But does it actually get cabletied / clipped to top of lever. Its a round hole approx 15mm to allow it to slide over lever 

just wanted to know if its meant to be sealed off

I have a 1988 944S and I replaced my rubber boot last year. I ordered it with a "rubber band" type of thing against the shaft of the shifter. If you don't have the "rubber band" a cut up piece of a racing bike 700C x 19mm inner tube would be close in size. If you zip tie it make sure you put a heap of electrical tape around the zip tie collar so it doesn't wear a hole from the inside of your outer leather shift boot.

you can see the "rubber band" with the rubber boot below. The leather shifter boot is turned inside our and pulled above the shafter to expose the rubber band.  

https://imgur.com/gallery/pB3hfAg

I don't know if this is correct, but its the way I did it and it works keeping the heat out. 

Archived