Oil pressure and level on 1988 911

Hi All, I’m a very new first time owner and am really enjoying my 1988 911. I’m finding new things about it, and am taking into DHM in Brisbane next week to get a CV boot replaced.

ive been doing a bit of reading on different sites, but have a couple of questions regarding the oil level and pressure gauges.

level - it bounces around A LOT, and generally sits low - but will then pop up and sit about mid range as well. It lowers when I accelerate, which I understand is normal, but I was a bit worried today when it sat pretty much on the top of the red - until it then popped back up. I checked via the dipstick, when I got home and it seemed to be in the middle. I assume it is either the gauge or a loose wire?

pressure - it seems to sit at 3 regardless of RPM. I’ve read it should be up at 5 at 5000RpM, and could almost be off scale low at idle - but mine seems to be happy sitting at 3 and not really move much regardless of how I’m driving. Is this OK or is it indicating a larger fault?

thanks

Level sounds fine. Trust the dipstick. Level should be checked when the engine is at operating temp and after idling for 30 seconds or so. The hotter the engine/oil, the higher the level. It'll be lower when driving when more oil is circulating and lower when you're at idle.

Pressure - yes I would expect some more variation than you're seeing. For a 3.2 when warm and idling, I think around 1 at 1,000 rpm is normal/fine. From memory, mine would idle around 1 and rise to around 4 I think. 3 seems ok to me but it should be moving - check the sender

You can't check the oil level on an air cooled until the oil is hot ... You also need to check it while the engine is running.

Your oil level gauge will read low until it gets hot ... then it will fluctuate up and down depending on the rpm of the engine ...

The oil pressure gauge is the same. Foot on the accelerator, and it goes up to 5 ... idle speed and it goes down.

For yours to sit on 3 doesn't seem right ... it is a pressure gauge and is supposed to go up and down depending on the engine rpm ... could be something as simple as a new pressure sender ...

All good advice.  Trust the dipstick and aim for halfway up while hot (ie after driving) and idling on flat surface for 30 seconds.  Learn to relax otherwise you’ll stare at the oil gauges all the time, or freak out and overfill like most newbs.  Lots of 911 driving happens with the oil level sitting on the red. 

Pressure I agree - it should behave like a very laggy tach, shouldn’t sit in one place.  Ask DHM to test.

Archived