Time to listen to the kids; "It is a SCAM Dad"

sydr

It is clear that this new generation of global connectivity brings with it a whole generation of well connected scumbags. I have a car advertised for sale on My105, and received an SMS asking me to contact the sender as they were on an oil rig. Here's what followed:

email from me responding to the contact who had sent me an sms:

Hi John,

Thank you for your SMS inquiring about my classic car. If it is the MG open wheel racing car that you are asking about, yes I have it for sale. I'm happy to discuss it with you per email or per telephone.

Regards,

Syd

Reply, per email:

"Syd,

Thanks a lot for the email, I am with BP oil and currently offshore on a rig, we do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on that we have access to phone,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.What is your last negotiable price?. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying this for my dad in NZ, he is an enthusiast! I choose this market as its a far larger one than that in NZ and gives me more freedom of choice,the shipping cost and all will be worth it at the end of the day, I want it to be the perfect birthday gift for my him he will love this as a surprise so much, does it have any history I should be aware of? I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery to my dad.If you have more pics,

As regards the payment,I can make bank deposit into your account using paypal wire transfer service, I will need your bank account info(name of your bank, name of account holder, bsb and account number) but If you are not comfortable with that, you can set up a paypal account proper at www.paypal.com.au and I will make the payment through paypal, this way, all I will need is your paypal email address.

Cheers!"

So I started to draft a reply and then increasingly, felt uncomfortable. I asked my one son who lives at home ( He thinks he has to take care of his aged parents, this episode may prove him right ) "What do you think of this?"

No hesitation "It is a scam, Dad. For sure."

Still unconvinced, I asked James - some of you have met him on this forum, he runs AutoHaus Hamilton's Spare parts division.

James, replying to my asking him his opinion, per email:

"Stinks!

He can sms from the oil rig, but can't access the phone?

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck, chances are, it's a duck!

Love

J"

So I googled "oil rig scam" and came up with a zillion examples. Try it. Be aware. Just, google "oil rig scam" or any variation on that theme and choose which examples you want to read of others being scammed and be warned! Don't be sucked in.

Guest Nick987

http://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Types_Of_Scams-Advanced_fee_frauds.htm

Sad but true. And alot of marks don't report they have been done so official figures are under represented.

This is a form of advanced fee fraud sydr.

It goes a little like this...

He sends you a cheque for more than the sale price and pays into PayPal. The extra is to cover freight, delivery, other charges etc.

Or after you send him PayPal details he then says "ohh, really sorry, can you please pay the transport cost of the car through Western Union Money Transfers because I am still at sea and I can't pay it, but I will add it to the purchase price of the car...

At this stage he will either disappear with the funds you sent via western union or he takes the transport money and disappears or he then has a mate or relative come and collect the goods claiming to be from the freight company or some such and you pay him the difference in cash. You sign over title.

He takes the car and claims it was never supplied to Paypal and gets his money refunded. Of if he sent you a cheque, cancels it and you are left without a car and no cash.

It's why a lot of carsales adds state they will only deal with phone enquiries and not email or SMS.

You should try and string him along, just for shits and giggles :D

http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

http://www.419baiter.com/scambaiting_resources.html

I received about 4 or 5 of these messages when I was trying to sell my car.

Towards the end I simply replied, "let me guess, you work on an oil rig"?

No response after that.

I got quite a few with exactly the same story, but the car was for his pregnant wife.

I just wonder how many fall for the trap given the effort they go to.

http://www.scamnet.w..._fee_frauds.htm

Sad but true. And alot of marks don't report they have been done so official figures are under represented.

This is a form of advanced fee fraud sydr.

It goes a little like this...

He sends you a cheque for more than the sale price and pays into PayPal. The extra is to cover freight, delivery, other charges etc.

Or after you send him PayPal details he then says "ohh, really sorry, can you please pay the transport cost of the car through Western Union Money Transfers because I am still at sea and I can't pay it, but I will add it to the purchase price of the car...

At this stage he will either disappear with the funds you sent via western union or he takes the transport money and disappears or he then has a mate or relative come and collect the goods claiming to be from the freight company or some such and you pay him the difference in cash. You sign over title.

He takes the car and claims it was never supplied to Paypal and gets his money refunded. Of if he sent you a cheque, cancels it and you are left without a car and no cash.

It's why a lot of carsales adds state they will only deal with phone enquiries and not email or SMS.

You should try and string him along, just for shits and giggles :D

http://www.419eater....tml/baiting.htm

http://www.419baiter..._resources.html

Nick, good information - thank you. Let others be warned. I'm wondering how you know so much about this stuff?

Guest Nick987

Hey Doug!

That is incredible, haven't heard of that one! Geez talk about desparate.

Wouldn't it be funny to give them stolen vehicle credentials!

Scams interest me so I can protect myself and those around me, the more I know, the more attuned my alarm bells and bs detector become. I hate being taken advantage of and seeing others get prayed on and used. Makes me really angry, so I do what I can to stay aware.

This 419 and advanced fee stuff has been around since the start of the web back in the late nineties. I am surprised carsales don't do more to stop it...wouldn't be hard.

Guest Nick987

Oh and believe it or not, I got done myself earlier this year, broke my own rules and it got me lightly toasted.

Luckily I was sensitive enough to pick up on it early and 5 months later got my money back. Only a few hundred bucks so no biggy but what made me motivated and angrier was thinking the prick had won and got away with it.

So I worked really hard to get it reversed. Got my $$ back and moved on.

Archived