New Disc Brakes?

Digital Mouth

Have a chat with James at AutoHaus Hamilton, they are in Dee Why, will probably have stock and are honest, competitive and happy to provide tech know how and back up should you have any problems 02-99051455. You may have to wait until Jan 2.

Expensive shipping but?

It always costs less even with shipping! However Sydr has suggested Autohaus, perhaps compare the prices between the two.

To make it worthwhile, grab some new pads and a few other goodies while you are there.

*Have the discs on your car been machined/skimmed before? you may be able to have them refaced.

The lip is a difference in surface height of your rotor(s) if you take your wheels off, and look at the rotor you may see a higher section on the outer edge of the rim. Run your finger over the surface of the rotor(s) both sides of each rotor. If it has a lip you will feel the uneven surface. Another word for a "lip" is a ridge.

Rotors or discs (same thing) are made to a certain width, if they have a lip/ridge..they may be machined or re surfaced to bring it smooth again.

However, if they have already been machined, the accepted width of the rotor may have already been reached.

If that is the case, you must get new rotors. Your mechanic should be able to measure the width of the rotors and will know if they have enough tolerance/surface remaining on them to be machined.

Personally I hate machining rotors they never seem to last very long, plus because they have now got less metal on them, they can heat up quicker, and are more susceptible to warping. I am not a mechanic, so I may be off the beam there just my humble opinion

I think by what your saying above, your mechanic is saying you need new rotors (front and rears?) and you will also need new pads also front and rear if all rotors are being replaced.

Hope that makes sense... So get in touch with AutoHaus, as suggested or whoever else you may buy your parts from and get yourself some new rotors and some new pads. Don't skimp on the pads or rotors, one of the great things about a Boxster is how good they stop. The pads come in different grades a good company like AutoHaus will guide you as to what you should be using.

If you are getting your mechanic to do it, cheapest option would probably be, you get the stuff and give it to your mechanic to fit.

But check if he is ok with that first, some like to supply and fit the items. He then knows he is getting the right parts for your car, but he will also make a bit more for the job, as he will probably charge you a bit more for supplying the parts. Plus if you have a problem in the future if the mechanic has both supplied and fitted all the items he will most likely look after you warranty wise.

• 1 year later...

Archived