Updated 24 Dec 2012 - IMS Bearing Information from Mike Focke

withers

I know there is lots of talk about the IMS Bearing on this fine forum, but thought I'd quickly link to some updated info on Mike Fockes Boxster Blog.

I thought creating a new thread might help it to be found easily. If this is already posted, please delete this Mods :P

https://sites.google...bpages/ims-kits

I also saw that someone asked what the IMS shaft and bearing looked like.. but couldn't find the thread to reply too. I have posted this before, but thought I'd post it again. I thought this was excellent and it really helped me understand what on earth this thing is and does

http://www.total911.com/news/porsche-996997-ims-failure-video/

A nice reminder for Boxster people to check out Mike Fockes, Boxster site. Some fantastic stuff on there.

His website is under his avatar and sign in name. A lot of time and effort has gone into it.

mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Guys, despite all my reading... I still feel a bit confused about the IMS bearing in the 987. Gen 1 987 6 spd manual, would it need to have the bearing swapped out? I saw some mention of the IMS bearing being harder to get to in some 987s but not sure what that means exactly.

Can someone explain this to a numpty girl like me?

Thanks for the kind words, I hope what I have assembled over the years helps you all down there too. I fondly recall a trip I took to Australia and New Zealand just after 9/11 and how wonderful the people were to me and my wife.

To the subject at hand, there is even more recent news on the IMS front that should get more fully into public view in the next few weeks. I updated my kits page just this week. But unfortunately, it will take a while before that product gets available to you all because the supply and installation is starting at its developers and some few US installers at first. If there is one of your mechanics who has gone to the Flat6 engine internals hands-on class, then they would be the probable introduction site into your area. But when it does get to you, you'll find it much more expensive, enough so that only people who really plan to keep their cars almost forever would want to use it in preference over the very good LN ceramic bearing. Even the creator only recommends it's use for engines that are totally updated and improved in many other areas.

As to early 987s, lets start out with the basics that there are three generations of IMS design and they go roughly (in US model years...I'm not familiar with yours) '97-'99, '00-'05, '05-'08. But replacement engines can be any generation and '05 models (first year 987s to the US) were some of generation 2 and some of generation 3. The third generation is the best (and most expensive to replace as doing it involves cracking the crankcase open) but we don't hear of many (if any) failures so only a handful have swapped out that version. The second generation was the most likely to fail. And the only way to be sure of which version you have is to drop the transmission and look which is why most swaps are done at clutch change time.

Really the best site I know for IMS info is LNengineering.com, the co-creators of both the LN bearing kit and the new product.

Archived