Windsreen Wiper Issues

BigglesRiviera

Hi Brainstrust,

First post and question, do i need to post a pic of my car? 

Its an 83' 911sc, with an 86' 3.2 engine and a 964 RS body kit. SSI's and soon a 964 cam grind. Paintwork is schoking but the mechanics are good.

Here’s my dilemma, well one of many and beside the main dilemma that I have no idea what I'm doing...

The other day I turned my ignition on and my horn started blaring non stop. Even turning the car off and on didn’t stop it. I beeped the horn, it beeped and stopped. Ever since however my windscreen wipers just stopped working. 

Background, I recently had a Classic Retro Fit air con system installed and there is no way I'm taking this out completely so the wiper motor is a real bitch to get to right now. 

I dont think the motor has gone as it was working perfectly, no noise or issues whatsoever. Unless they can just die? I checked the fuse, not broken. 

I think when my mechanics installed the CRF aircon it they have moved the wiring harness to make room as its no longer connected to the actual wiper motor. But....

In the below picture from Pelican Parts it shows a brown connection point which I cant find on my car. 

There is a brown wire but it is not connected to anything and I cant find any connection pin for it to go to. And then it the last picture there is also a few wires kicking around a black and a green, no idea what these could or couldn’t be doing. 

One of the connectors was a touch loose which I have plugged back in, I need to recharge my battery as its currently dead, I'll see if that worked. 

Could it however be the brown wire? 

Can the Motors just die with no warning?

Anythign else people have come across? 

Next steps for the car:

New Shocks - Bilstein B6 front, Sports back 

Elephant Racing Poly Bronze back and front, and new bushings all round, monoball front and rear, double strut brace

Finned Oil cooler kit

Braided brake lines

Nerp brake cooling kits

New ball joints, sway bar rebuild

Short shift kit

All waiting and ready to go, just need to buy some time. 

Cheers! 

Aircon motor.PNG

Connectors.JPG

Connectros red.jpg

Biggles,

Brown wires on these cars are earths

The fact the wipers don't work on any speed setting (I assumed you tried ALL switch positions) would suggests there is no power to the switch or the earth to the wiper motor has been disturbed.

I suggest you download a wiring diagram for this circuit. I recall Pelican had many available from their site.

If you unplug the wiper switch from underneath the dash you will be able to check there is power to the switch. (The above wiring diagram will tell you the wire colours of the correct plug)

I think your mechanic has probably disturbed the wiring to the wiper motor .  However it should be relatively easy to move the  Classic Retrofit unit out of the way without having to degas it.

Good luck and happy contortions!

The fact that horn and wipers both started acting up at the same time would make me think the problem was near the steering column. I would start by taking the plastic covers off the column and taking a close look around in there for things that might be amiss.

As said, probably no circuit due to having no earth connection. The image shows two heavy amperage earth wires coming together into a single narrow gauge wire - worrying in itself if that is for the wiper motor. I would be testing to ensure that the wiper motor is getting correct earthing and then if needs be, looking at intactness of the switch. 

20 minutes ago, Merv said:

As said, probably no circuit due to having no earth connection. The image shows two heavy amperage earth wires coming together into a single narrow gauge wire - worrying in itself if that is for the wiper motor. I would be testing to ensure that the wiper motor is getting correct earthing and then if needs be, looking at intactness of the switch. 

My impression from the OP's post is that these photos are from some unrelated thread on Pelican Parts, not photos of his/her car.

Hey all,

Thaks for the replies!

@autojack The first photo is PP, the last two are mine.

The first photo shows a brown wire tab on the motor itself, or pehaps its behind the motor on a cable, but in the second photos my motor doesnt seem to have anywhere to connect the brown wire to. 

Is there not a spare pin on the white connector?  It looks like someone has pulled the brown on off from the wiper and added a small wire to the slide on clip, perhaps as an extra part for a radio or other accessory? Alternatively there should be a male earth tab on the body of the motor, probably attached to one of the screws.

Thanks again everyone 

@Merv I think you win the prize. I did some more googling and found a few motors with better pictures, see below.

There does seem to be an earth tab between the bracket and motor which looks as if it covers both screws. 
I’ll have to rig some kind of arm up with some copper and and when the trickle charger has done it’s thing I will let you know the results. 

CA54D59A-FDBB-418A-9331-9E2F3083E837.jpeg

734C8BE8-F170-4053-B6F6-3E3031A2E623.jpeg

Thanks @Merv if I knew how to do any of that I definitely would! 
I downloaded the wiring schematic @Peter M , had an electrical engineeer at work confirm that the brown earth definitely needed to connect to the wiper motor. 
So I charged the battery (another lesson for the beginners, a trickle charger will NOT charge a flat battery) turned the ignition on, turned the wipers on and then with some pliers connected the earth to the motor. A little spark but no wiping....

So I think (dangerous) maybe I need the bolt that was through the motor thread to actually earth to something the casing is over...? And BOOM! 

Wipers baby! 

Maybe the connection just needed to be better than me touching it but either way Im so happy I don’t have to replace the motor! 

Thanks so much for all the help Gents, pic below for the screw that fit perfectly through the old mount hole, little bit of glue and hopefully it never comes off. 

CF7E4301-FD9B-48B5-8272-BA5C71624D60.jpeg