Tyre Goo anyone?

In planing for the Canberra SMT I picked up a couple of cans of "puncture repair".

Looks easy enough. Let the tyre down. remove the nail etc, spray the stuff in, drive for a few kms and pump it up properly.

Has anyone used this stuff before with the green slime? Any recommendations or problems?

Picked up a small nail and had a slow leak in the Cayenne about 18 months ago, as some thoughtful engineer decided to fit a second battery and a subwoofer in the wheel well I tried the bottle of goo (thankfully the Cayenne has a compressor built in under the driver seat).

Ended up doing around 1000 ks with the goo while I shopped for a new set of tyres and pressure held well. Caveat Emptor.. Tyre shop told me the goo does not work on side wall damage or large punctures...

serbian flag ctures I hear and no side wall damage.

I saw those repair kits at SCA where you feed in the rubber plug but thought they were too much work.

They do make sense though. Plug the home and keep going at regular speed.

The other thing is a lot ot tyre places hate it with a passion as it needs to be cleaned off the rim when tyres are fitted later.

It will do the job but a temporary repair not a permanant one.

The above mentioned repair kits are the same as a lot of tyre places use!

There is NO way to repair a sidewall successfully!

Best thing to reduce your chances of sidewall damage is to ensure proper inflation pressures and don't hit pot holes if at all possible! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a combo that has the slime and air compressor all in one its awesome. The fact that tyre shops hate the stuff is because it takes a little effort to remove the slime and in that time the same bloke could have re-tyred a set of wheels in the same time... in other words effort vs profit.

Plus I don't trust my 25yr old spare.

Archived