Differences in early 70s era 911s

Wobbly

Not much activity here yet, but hoping someone might have some info they're just bursting to let loose :)

I'm considering starting a 73 RS tribute project, as its one of my all time favourite cars (sure I'm not alone there). In tackling this I'm starting to think about which is the best platform to begin with, the logical choice of course being either a 73 911 T or S, the T being relatively cheap. However, there are others around this era that can be sculpted similarly, however I was wondering if anyone had a good rundown of the differences in the 70s cars and how close or far from the configuration of the genuine RS they are. For example in 72 they moved around the oil tank in search of better weight distribution, but did they do other similar changes to layout, suspension geometery, etc? And beyond just the motor, what were the specific changes that were made to the RS over the base model?

TIA :)

That car is actually a 1979 SC backdated and is now at the Healey Factory in Melbourne for $49,990. 3 litre, 915 gearbox and originally advertised at $60,000 which was overpriced but others (mainly backdated 3.2s) have sold for more. It's worth a look. Early long wheel base 911s(except 1972)have virtually the same shell, but genuine/good ones are becoming more expensive, matching number ones in good condition, especially the S name your own price. If you want a 2.7 backdating a 1974 2.7engined carrera is an option if bought at the right price, but 2.7s can have heat problems. Other options are 2.2 1970T or S with 901 gearbox and 2.4 T/E/S 915 gearbox, engines can be upgraded all the way to 3 litre. Have a browse on www.typ901.org.au or www.early911sregistry.org/forum/index.php.

I have a 1970 2.2T and it is sweet, has the best sounding engine (Webers) and is bulletproof. Difference in Touring and the rest is lower horsepower, non fuel injected and no sway bars, that's all, so it depends on how much you want to spend. Healey Factory have a 1970 T at the right price.

Good Luck

Paul M.

Cheers guys - I know its cheaper to buy one already done, but that wouldn't be much of a journey :)

My thoughts were to try and find a 73 model touring with average mechanicals and non-matching #s at a relatively cheap price but with a decent interior. Then I could happily replace suspension bits, sway bars, etc and drop in a later model motor. 3.2 motors don't seem that hard to come by, but not sure if they drop in relatively easily? There was a 1970T with a 3.2 motor and an RS body kit listed on carsales a while back, still there, but seems fairly expensive. The 3.2 motor seems like a reasonable option though as its probably around the same hp as the 2.7 RS motor but less stressed, and hopefully reasonably priced for a pre-G50 unit...

Archived