Door unlocking issue

Yeatesy

The drivers door on my 74 911 can be locked with the key but cannot be unlocked with it. I had a spare set of new door handles & locks so I tried fitting them and it didn’t fix the problem. 

The only way to get the door to open once it has been locked with the key is by pulling to button at the top of the door trim up and then using the interior door handle (in this case an RS style strap).

Once this has been pulled the door will open via both the interior and exterior door handles until it it locked with the key again. 

Any help would be appreciated 

EDE61AD4-8C72-4B2A-8D80-106FF3C61B54.jpeg

DEF89A5E-031C-41C6-A1E1-D6BA0260B753.jpeg

Hi Yeatesy, my car is the same but it's the passenger door for me but that's because my car is converted. The passenger and drivers doors do work differently because the drivers door can only be locked with the key, to hopefully prevent you locking your keys in (button wont go down till the drivers door is closed). I can lock my door once closed but it's hard to unlock because of friction forcing the button up, if I unlock with the key and just give the button a hand you can feel it all operated properly (done with window open). Feels like the resistance in mine is in the button area, just need to fiddle about to get it more free moving so the key has the leverage to operate the unlocking direction without snapping it off.

Sounds like a similar issue, I’ve had it apart a couple of times now and can’t figure out what’s going on. Everything seems to move easily but the key just won’t open the door. I think my issue could be the door latch.

I’ve managed to get the door lock to open with the key after lubricating & adjusting the striker, except it won’t work if I pull the exterior door latch once it’s been locked 🤷‍♂️

I’ve ordered a striker rebuild kit & once they are done i’ll fit my new door handles and hopefully it will work perfectly 🤞

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Seventy911 said:

Hi Yeatesy,

Are your 'new' handles oem or repops?

Seventy

My car came with a set of door handles from Sierra Madre but I just left the originals fitted as they were in good condition.

As long as I don’t pull the exterior release before turning the key it’s all good otherwise I’m going for a walk to the other side of the car 😂