Adhesive paint protection

MB911

Appologies if this has been posted before.

We just finished painting a friends car and I have suggested that we should look into the stick on clear paint protection for the front end.

Has anyone used it or are currently using it??

Just interested in brands, how it is performing,etc.

From a spray painters point of view I think the idea has merit, but I don't know anyone who has used it.

I have had 2 991's done with the 3M product, basically from the windscreen forward. One of the cars I took through the very gravelly Targa High Country closed roads in November. Very happy with the product, broke a windscreen but really only 1 serious chip in the paint, works seriously well. I think the secret is to have it applied by someone who knows what they are doing. My current car is white & if I didn't tell you it was skinned you wouldn't know. Ozzi Cossi at Artarmon in Sydney did both cars, about $1200 for the full front, $795 if you do half the bonnet, half guards & spoiler/grille. I picked up a bit of off cut in the factory & I couldn't tear it, you need a sharp knife.

There is this stuff called car dom and it is a  waterbased temporary paintable membrane. It is the same stuff used in the building industry called goop which is used on windows and a multitude of other surfaces that need protection throughout construction. It lasts a long time but the appearance is not flash and you would only leave it on for the time you need protection, hence the name. Here is the catch, its performance is only as good as the application, you need to apply thick to be able to remove it with ease. I did it to thin and i was scratching away for weeks as i went wild and got it everywhere. Duk

Thanks Cyber,  this is definitely another option, I can see we will have to do our homework.

My mate has $3k invested in the paint work and I have about 100 hours of my time so we want to get it right. B)

Archived