996 18 x 11/8.5" Tyre Dilemma

NAC911

Looking at new tyres for my C2 with 18 x 11R, 8.5F rims.

Tyre sizes 295/30/18 and 235/40/18

Currently have Michelin PS2 R, PS4 F

It's near on impossible to find a matching set from any quality brand in those sizes.

Options are;

Michelin PS2 R, PS2 F

Michelin PS4s R, PS4 F

Anyone got any other suggestions? Have had PZero's on other cars and don't like them, Had PS4s's and really like them, just wish Michelin made a 235 4s Front. 

45 minutes ago, NAC911 said:

Looking at new tyres for my C2 with 18 x 11R, 8.5F rims.

Tyre sizes 295/30/18 and 235/40/18

Currently have Michelin PS2 R, PS4 F

It's near on impossible to find a matching set from any quality brand in those sizes.

Options are;

Michelin PS2 R, PS2 F

Michelin PS4s R, PS4 F

Anyone got any other suggestions? Have had PZero's on other cars and don't like them, Had PS4s's and really like them, just wish Michelin made a 235 4s Front. 

Agree on P Zeros.

Have a look at Dunlop Direzza Z3s, might be matching sets available, you'll need to check with the Vic Dunlop Motorsport dealer as they're not available through most retail tyre places - looks to be Stuckeys.  Was very happy with them on my 996.1 GT3, I had 225/40 and 265/35 (they actually measure to 275).  235/40 and 295/30 are listed as sizes made.  I found them to be a very good road tyre still, even in the wet.  They were seen to be the general "wet" option for Targa Tas.

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dotCMS/TyreDetailAction?website=DMS&websegmentcode=MOTORSPORT&websegmentcode2=&mtpcode=82057&from=nPerPage

24 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Agree on P Zeros.

Have a look at Dunlop Direzza Z3s, might be matching sets available, you'll need to check with the Vic Dunlop Motorsport dealer as they're not available through most retail tyre places - looks to be Stuckeys.  Was very happy with them on my 996.1 GT3, I had 225/40 and 265/35 (they actually measure to 275).  235/40 and 295/30 are listed as sizes made.  I found them to be a very good road tyre still, even in the wet.  They were seen to be the general "wet" option for Targa Tas.

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dotCMS/TyreDetailAction?website=DMS&websegmentcode=MOTORSPORT&websegmentcode2=&mtpcode=82057&from=nPerPage

Thanks for that!

How would you compare these V a pure high performance street tyre like the Michelin PS4s?

I'll rarely be doing track days just drive day enjoyment.

32 minutes ago, NAC911 said:

Thanks for that!

How would you compare these V a pure high performance street tyre like the Michelin PS4s?

I'll rarely be doing track days just drive day enjoyment.

I think you'd get longer life out of PS4's, and probably out of PS4S as well, but my driving was probably 2% track, 98% road, and I never worried about them coming up short as a road tyre.  Given their road / track hybrid nature I was initially a bit concerned about doing mostly road miles, but soon forgot about that as I found them to be a really good allround tyre, particularly in the wet.  You just need to keep watch on pressures - on the track you don't want to go above 33psi, so I found I'd end up with a start point of 28 or perhaps  a little less if really hot, and you just had to remember to top them back up for road use, which I again put at 33.  On the road they wouldn't heat up that much so a hot pressure of 35 or so on the road was fine.  I did 18000kms or so in the car over 2 1/2 years, and the fronts had probably another 5000kms in them, I did go through a set of rears in 8000kms because of a rear toe adjustment problem which was fixed by putting in the racing adjustable rear toe arms which cured the problem (in fact the car steered and handled fantastically afterwards), and the 2nd set of rears would have had another 5000kms in them as well.  

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I think you'd get longer life out of PS4's, and probably out of PS4S as well, but my driving was probably 2% track, 98% road, and I never worried about them coming up short as a road tyre.  Given their road / track hybrid nature I was initially a bit concerned about doing mostly road miles, but soon forgot about that as I found them to be a really good allround tyre, particularly in the wet.  You just need to keep watch on pressures - on the track you don't want to go above 33psi, so I found I'd end up with a start point of 28 or perhaps  a little less if really hot, and you just had to remember to top them back up for road use, which I again put at 33.  On the road they wouldn't heat up that much so a hot pressure of 35 or so on the road was fine.  I did 18000kms or so in the car over 2 1/2 years, and the fronts had probably another 5000kms in them, I did go through a set of rears in 8000kms because of a rear toe adjustment problem which was fixed by putting in the racing adjustable rear toe arms which cured the problem (in fact the car steered and handled fantastically afterwards), and the 2nd set of rears would have had another 5000kms in them as well.  

Stuckeys will have rears in sept, cheaper than Michelins too!!!