Electronic Hand/Park Brakes - what are your thoughts?

Apogee

I was disappointed to find out that the new 981s come with them. So do the new A-class Mercs and possibly the new Golfs.

I don't like them (electronic parkbrakes)...how are we going to do our handbrake turns to impress the chicks? :)

BTW, JC, Hammond and James were discussing this very topic on a recent TG epsiode (not shown in Oz yet but you can download it from pirate bay) and they came to the same conclusion.

What are the car companies thinking?

Whats Pirate Bay? :rolleyes:

I don't like them. However this is the way it is all going. Electric steering, Parkbrakes, A/C.

Even electric valves with no mechanical camshaft actuation.

I don't even do Handbrake turns anymore, however I just like the mechanical connect of controls to a machine.....the less of this means that I am less connected to it.....

me no likey.

I was disappointed to find out that the new 981s come with them. So do the new A-class Mercs and possibly the new Golfs.

I don't like them (electronic parkbrakes)...how are we going to do our handbrake turns to impress the chicks? :)

BTW, JC, Hammond and James were discussing this very topic on a recent TG epsiode (not shown in Oz yet but you can download it from pirate bay) and they came to the same conclusion.

What are the car companies thinking?

They are thinking warranty claims

An electric handbrake can:

- be integrated with the 'P' position in an auto

- be used for hill start assist and other such comfort packages

- simplify interior packaging (see HQ Holden with bench seats for example) - read : more room for screens, cupholders and buttons

- be hooked into the CANBUS on the car instead of running separate cables (wheel already will have wheel speed + brake wear sensors, so the wirings' already there)

- probably self adjust

- prevent being yanked on to do handbrake turns, thereby extending life of said brake

A lot of people hate the foot-brake type parking brakes that are common to US cars.  I actually don't mind them, again as long as you don't want to do handbrake turns.

Whats Pirate Bay? :rolleyes:

I don't like them. However this is the way it is all going. Electric steering, Parkbrakes, A/C.

Even electric valves with no mechanical camshaft actuation.

I don't even do Handbrake turns anymore, however I just like the mechanical connect of controls to a machine.....the less of this means that I am less connected to it.....

me no likey.

www.piratebay.se - torrent site. ;)

Too right - with each new model, I'm finding the cars getting less fun to drive. VW did it with the MkVI golf and even the Gen 2 Cayman isn't as fun to drive as my Gen 1 Boxster. They keep refining the fun out of the cars. Soon we won't even need to steer...

Warranty claims.

Build it better.

ie: not in china.

TWATS.

Well, to be fair to the car companies, the average driver of a car these days has zero mechanical sympathy.  It's always a good idea when checking out a car to get the owner to drive you first.  That way you get a taste for their driving.

It's not uncommon to witness WOT cold starts, aggressive braking that would make a rally driver impressed, and speed bump attacking worthy of a getaway driver.   When these types of people buy new, expensive cars, they expect price=quality=unbreakable.

Then you have guys like Jeremy Clarkson on TV reducing the lifespan of a car to months rather than decades.  Makes great TV but not the sort of thing to be emulated by the long term owner.

I knew a guy who had a S3 RX-7.   He spent a full day doing some rally driving around a dirt track, letting his friends have a go, laughing and videoing the whole thing.   I think it was about 7-10 years old at the time (a guess)

About a month later he was complaining about the build quality, because the hatch had started rattling and there was dust inside the luggage compartment.   I was flabbergasted - what would you expect?

Same goes for all the other electronic driver aids - it's the market that both demands and necessitates them.  If you want a car still operated by levers, cables and hydraulic lines, you're going to have to cut off the candidates around the turn of the millenium.

Archived