997 Performance Tuning

VinnieChase

Hi,

My first post on PFA

Had 997 C2S for about 7 months and now i am keen to replace with standard exhaust with Miltek Sport exhaust for some extra power and sound. Has anyone here upgrade their exhaust with a aftermarket upgrade on their 911s, would love to hear your thoughts.

cheers,

VinnieC

I sold a customer an Akrapovic system for a 997.

In this case the customer opted for a full race system, which was in every sense a terrific piece of kit.

Easy installation, beautiful workmanship (this was a titanium system with welds that would have done credit to a cosmetic surgeon), no droning at any rpm range, unremarkable sound at idle....and diabolical at full chat.

Vinnie, I don't have any direct experience, so the following is based on a mix of my own opinion and nuggets that I have gleaned from listening to those as do know...I'm quite happy to be contradicted on the following:

The only guaranteed gain from an exhaust change is the sound. You may gain one or two ponies, but I've also seen "upgrade" exhausts that cost ponies. Chances are, there won't be a dramatic difference in power output. But a nice sounding exhaust on a loved car is not to be sniffed at.

Similarly, I am sceptical of "canned" tunes. Motor manufacturers spend sillions in mapping a car's ignition and fuelling for the best compromise between performance, driveability, economy and emissions. I'm not convinced that a chip upgrade/ECU flash can truly improve the car. If you talk about putting the car on a dyno and re-mapping a particular car for more power, that's a different story, and it will be at the expense of economy and possibly tractability. Either way, it's a different proposition to a one-size-fits-all ECU flash.

Archived