996 Factory Microphone with Aftermarket Stereo

CapnHyaku

Last week I decided I wanted to use the factory microphone with my Android Auto head unit... what could possibly go wrong?

I was able to successfully do this, and the factory microphone is now usable and connected to my Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit.

I thought I would share a step-by-step.  This only applies if your car originally came with phone connection preparation.  If not the microphone housing on the is just an empty shell.  Many people just route and fit the aftermarket microphone here, and you'll find plenty of tutorials online for this.

Assumed knowledge (plenty of videos on youtube for these):

1. How to remove the instrument cluster.

2. How to remove the stereo.

3. Soldering.

Parts needed:

1. Audio connector for head unit (most commonly 3.5mm 2-pole connector)  (https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-5mm-miniature-plug-black/p/PP0114)

2. BMW electrical connector socket 61136925611 (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-universal-pin-terminal-uncoded-4-pol-61136925611)

3. 2x BMW electrical connector pin 61131393723 (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-pin-contact-mqs-05075mm-sn-61131393723)

4. 2 pole wiring (1m is more than enough).

Steps:

1. Remove the instrument cluster.  This is the point that you will know 100% if you have a factory microphone or not.

2. This step is very important and I think it is why the only threads I found said the factory mic doesn't work.  On the side of the factory microphone you will see a rotary switch, positions 1 - 2 - 3.  It will be set to 3 already for the PCM factory installation.  Change it to 2.  This sets the microphone to "passive" operation.

image.thumb.png.b6df5092e6070ef847b82c449c15e636.png

3. You will see the microphone plugs into this socket wrapped in the same wiring loom for the outer-most plug for the instrument cluster:

image.thumb.png.0c2d87c7b76bd324ec07d894b673cea8.png

4. Now make your cable!  PIN 1 on the socket is for the active/live conductor, PIN 2 is ground conductor.  Don't mix them up or you might get buzzing on the line when on a call (you won't hear it, only the person on the other end of the call will).

image.thumb.png.5a29c64e8946bc86c368cd0fe68ffbc1.png

5. Route your new cable behind the instrument cluster to your stereo and plug in.  ACHTUNG! Carefule with how you route the cable, dangling wires above the steering column are not a recipe for success!

6. Put your instrument cluster back in, taking care not to pinch your new microphone wiring.

FYI here is my cable when I was testing the microphone for performance and the switch settings on the factory microphone.

image.thumb.png.1b5e38dd2acf025797b383bc9b161fda.png

Edited by CapnHyaku
Fixed images