924 Turbo engine rebuild guidance please

DaveO90S4

Hi all,

I have recently bought an already modified 924 turbo engine to replace my original 924 T engine (original engine will be rebuilt to stock).

The modifications to the engine I bought were haltech ecu (no cis fuel ditributor), garret turbo, air:water intercooler, highly modified inlet and exhaust manifolds, dynoed at 250 rwhp. I knew it blew excess smoke when I bought it.

My plan is to rebuilld it into a reliable 250 rwhp engine and then put it into my 1882 924T.

I would be very keen to have input from anyone who has done similarly with a 924 T engine so that I can try to not make too many mistakes.

So please let me know - or post here - if you have any advice or guidance for me.

My current thoughts are - assuming all looks ok-ish upon tear down:-

* Rebore (if needed);

* New forged pistons (Special Piston Services, Victoria?) CR 9.x:1? How high is sensible but not silly, given modern ecu?

* Main and big end bearings as needed, along with crank grind as needed. Where to buy such parts?;

*Reuse standard cam shaft (lobes look good);

* Davies Craig 115 electric water pump - this will allow me to get decent belt wrap around crank compared with the modified arrangement I have inherited (can send photos to show the issue to be overcome);

* How to improve cooling, especially to no.4 (which I am told can be an issue);

* Opt for air:air intercooler instead of air:water. How big? Where best to mount? a la 944T? etc etc;

* Crankcase ventilation?;

* I have a new sump 'baffle' plate too. Pros v cons of installing this?;

* Use electric booster pump (ebp) for turbo cooling?;

* Use separate ebp for car heating circuit (to keep separate from engine cooling and turbo cooling circuits)?;

* Standard or aftermarket clutch etc;

* Etc etc etc.

(and no, I am noy going to use a VW1.8T, nor an LSx, nor a 13B, am committed to sticking with the 924T engine as the basis for this project).

Thanks and I hope to hear your views and advice.

Thanks

DaveO

Brisbane 

Photos attached. One showing existing belt routing (with not much crank pulley wrap), other showing crank:ac routing options if I were to opt for an electric water pump. The alternator is not in the photo - it is driven off the ac, you can see the alternator belt and alternator bracket to the rh side of the photos.

I note that the crank pulley and the water pump pulley are non standard - each is single row v-belt. 

Cheers

Daveo

belt2.JPG

belt1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2023 at 20:02, bear924 said:

Dave - also visit 924board.org .... lots of discussions on upgrades and an upgrade path plan (ie.. standard clutch is good for xx hp...).  924.org is the pinned information and 924board.org is the forum. 

Yes. Wise advice. Very knowledgeable folk over there.