944 starts then stops problem

Tas944

Hi all,

Hope you can help with a persistent problem with my 84 944 auto. It starts, then runs for around 2 minutes then stops abruptly. It won't restart if I try immediately but if I leave it for a few minutes and try to restart it does the same again, runs for about two minutes then stops. 

Whilst it is running it revs smoothly and seems fine.

Hope you can help as I just want to get back on the road!

944 no starts are a common problem (just search rennlist). It can often be caused by the leads for the speed and reference sensors/or sensors them selves. They are located at the back of the motor(at the top) near the firewall. Sometimes you can jiggle them and it can fix it but only way to fix properly will be by either going to a good Porsche mechanic(apparently datsun mechanics are good too<<<joke) or testing all the sensors etc till you find the fault. try clarks garage (google it) for a list of procedures that may get you to the bottom of it if your handy on the tools. Personally a good mechanic will cost you but you can spend a lot of money replacing things and still not get a solution, so going it on your own can be just as expensive unless you get lucky and sort it quickly/cheaply

good luck

Really appreciated your help! Funny, it had not been starting at all but I remember this morning jiggling the leads you mention and it fired today. Mystery was why it runs for a couple of minutes and then stops but at least now I have a better idea of whats the cause.

Yep, agree, probably best if I track down a local Porsche mechanic as it will save my meddling hands making it any worse...

could be vibration causing it or maybe nothing to do with the leads. If it is leads and they are on engine management side of connector, Lindsey racing has a replacement loom. If it is sensor side you can just replace sensors.

Legendary stuff Bruce!  Your advice sounds like it was gleaned from bitter experience!

This is what this forum is all about.

Good luck Tas944...please post back what happens!

944 no starts are a common problem (just search rennlist). It can often be caused by the leads for the speed and reference sensors/or sensors them selves. They are located at the back of the motor(at the top) near the firewall. Sometimes you can jiggle them and it can fix it but only way to fix properly will be by either going to a good Porsche mechanic(apparently datsun mechanics are good too<<<joke) or testing all the sensors etc till you find the fault. try clarks garage (google it) for a list of procedures that may get you to the bottom of it if your handy on the tools. Personally a good mechanic will cost you but you can spend a lot of money replacing things and still not get a solution, so going it on your own can be just as expensive unless you get lucky and sort it quickly/cheaply

good luck

:lol:  and you call me a troll.

When the motor cuts out is it a running to dead stop or running to cutting out after trying to run for a few seconds?

I have started the 944 a couple more times and the latest start it ran for 10 mins without a problem, I turned it off and it restarted immediately...will see if (and when) it plays up again.

When it has stopped it was immediate, without any running on. 

Stopped immediately without running on.

Also, the only things I have done today have been to wiggle the leads plus sprayed some WD40 water dispersant on any connectors (car is in a dry garage so no moisture to speak of) After doing these things it has been starting without a problem.

Yet now it seems to be running ok. Hope it will run long enough to get it to the mechanic to check it out.

Thanks Greg, will pull apart the relay to check for corroded solder, if so I will re-solder or replace with a new one. I have a spare DME Relay but have checked it today, plenty of corrosion!

So far she is still running ok but will let the forum know the final outcome..

Hi all, the problem continues....after an afternoon of the 944 starting and running fine I tried to start it this morning and the engine turns over fine but not a hint of firing. Tried have a dozen times but no go. Tried wiggling leads/connectors etc as before.

Maybe this could give another clue?.

Also, would anyone know of a good 944 mechanic here in North West Tassie??

Archived