Dud ignition switch?

dobbo

1980 928 4.5l auto ignition switch will operate starter once or twice the next time dash lights up but will not operate starter motor despite turning key. Tried gear lever to eliminate neutral lockout etc but no difference, key and lock are worn so manipulated key still no difference. Was going too swap starter relay out next. Is this a sign of a bad ignition switch? Note the car is fitted with a car alarm and cut out system on a key fob however I never use it. Thanks in advance Dobbo.   

Try hot wiring the starter multiple times at the starter motor with the ignition on and then if that works try back  at the lock.

I would say it is the electrical switch part of the steering lock from  my recent problems. The worn lock will gradually wear out the switch.

I did this on a 944. Not overly difficult, just need to get the process in the right order.

Just had a look at an image of a 928 lock. Looks like yours is attached by 2 screws at the rear. May be a lot easier than having to pull out the whole steering lock from the column as you have to with an early 944.

do you hang a lot of stuff off your car keyring? only took me one ignition switch swap to stop doing it 🤣

the few I've done in other people's cars, when i jiggled the switch would get different levels of accessories (fan etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced ign switch with a used one(had to remove pod) however still would not operate starter motor. Removed switch and reconnected plug and operated switch with a screwdriver and she fired straight up so looks like the worn lock is the problem.

Contacted some local auto locksmiths but there not interesteted in helping. Any advice appreciated DOBBO. 

might be worth trying the dealer - they should be able to sell you a lock set up correctly for your existing keys based on the VIN (i bought a spare key this way, came from Germany, after all the local locksmiths said they couldn't help with the key)

Or, get a new lock and swap out the blades (they have little numbers on them, just need to put them back in order) and create the correct lock yourself from two.

Thanks Russ priced new old stock ignition lock cylinder and key some are still available  in the States but they want about $1000 for them. 

I'm thinking about fitting a start button, key will unlock steering and power dash ,fuel pump etc and button operate starter motor only.

I hate bodging the electrics up but can't justify spending a K to fix it.  

3:19 in this video is what I was talking about inside the lock, but I guess the doors are different (it looks like the ignition barrel is hardened for security ) I assume there is still a way into them though.

sucks that all the locksmiths and mechanics with these skills are retiring