Fuel Leak?

rhally56

Hi all...

My first post...

Have recently purchased a 1988 3.2 911 Carrera, Aust delivered.

I haven't had much opportunity sadly to drive it of late. I started it for the first time in around a month on the weekend and ran it (idling) for about 5 minutes. When I turned if off to leave the garage I noticed a pool of what was petrol, on the ground and dripping from motor, approx under engine on the back right corner. Fuel was leaking down through engine, over exhaust. After panicking trying to find a fire extinguisher I let it cool off for some time before investigating. Thinking fuel pump at first, but i'm sure that this is located right hand side to the engine front. Maybe fuel rail leaking?

On restart later in day with extinguisher at ready, there was no sign of any fuel leak whatsoever again. Most puzzling. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your choice, a fine car.Hope you can get a photo up soon in the gallery.

In relation to the fuel leak, where abouts are you? Have you chosen someone to service your car or are you doing it yourself?

Cheers

Chris

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your choice, a fine car.Hope you can get a photo up soon in the gallery.

In relation to the fuel leak, where abouts are you? Have you chosen someone to service your car or are you doing it yourself?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris...

Yes, I will get a photo up. No I haven't as yet thought about who will service the car. I am in central Victoria.

Thanks for the reply...

Hi rhally56,

I had a very similar experience with my 2.7 late last year... I drove it down the street after many weeks of not being driven, and I noticed huge smoke coming off the exhaust pipe, and the rather concerning smell of petroleum! And on inspection, petrol dripping directly onto the exhaust! :blink::blink::blink:

I limped back home (along Fitzroy St, St Kilda, where every greenie in town took down my registration number, when they could see it!! :P:D ) and called my mechanic. We trailered it out to him and it was fixed with a single replacement gasket for minimal cost! Sorry, thats as technical as I get - other than to say "the flywheel had gone askew on the treadle" - my Grandfathers favourite saying for "WTF, I have no idea!"

Get it into your local mechanic, and if it is something immediately obvious like mine, you should be able to order the part directly from Porsche, otherwise, if you need some suggestions for workshops, and we've all got our 25c worth on that subject, but they are mostly Melb based. Central Victoria anyone? Suggestions?

Would I be rude if I asked whether you got a pre-sale inspection report, and whether that might have pointed at anything in particular?

Regardless, welcome to the land where Pcars RULE, and where nattering on about our obsessions never grows tired! (for us anyway!)

Cheers,

Kerry

Hi rhally56,

good choice of vehical mines an 87 model picked it up from Brett & Barry at Bedggoogds in ballarat(i'm in clunes)

they may be able to help get you out of trouble 03 53393111, other than that i take mine to "Weissach Sport" Coburg 9355 7991, Chris will look after you and knows these models inside out, if i can help in any way would only be to happy too.

Cheers

Steve (Red 3.2)

Hi rhally56,

good choice of vehical mines an 87 model picked it up from Brett & Barry at Bedggoogds in ballarat(i'm in clunes)

they may be able to help get you out of trouble 03 53393111, other than that i take mine to "Weissach Sport" Coburg 9355 7991, Chris will look after you and knows these models inside out, if i can help in any way would only be to happy too.

Cheers

Steve (Red 3.2)

Hey thanks for the replies guys...

I will get my local mech to check it out, they proceed from there.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I look forward to further chats in the near future.

Cheers

Russ

you will probably find the fuel lines connecting the left bank to the right leaking.

these are a combo'hard/ soft line with swaged fittings.

these soft lines are now up to and over 25 years old and run directly over the top of the engine.

been seeing more and more of these 'go',time for some preventative maintanance guys

Archived