Electric window issues

Ben C3.o

Hi all,

Jumped in the car to go for a spin today and the drivers window won't operate. Pulled the switch out and swapped it over with another, same issue. Switch has power so pulled the door trim off to see if it was something obviouse but all looks intact. Anyone had any experiance removing the window motor etc?

Looks like a painful task.

Anything else I should try first, as I said the electrics all check out to the switch so has to be in the window motor itself.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Ben Ben.... Mate same thing happened to me - massive PIA and I suspect a shagged motor after panel shop wound up window which switch stuck on up for half a day. Look for my thread with similar name as a few good folk here have same great trouble shooting advice.

Also if you have the 100 thing to do with your 911 book - essential for anyone with an impact bumper style 911 there is a chapter on this including photos. If you need me to flick you a scam let me know.

Last time on Rennlist there are very detailed step by step links explaining how to do. Just James sells the motors if its this. Mine went in Feb and I have just have not had the time to fix- drives me nuts each time I sit inside.

Apparently not hard just a diddly pain in the ass job.

Thanks for the reply Doish13. I didn't search the forum before posting as I was on the mobile while cooking a BBQ. Will have a search for your post now.

I started to pull the door trimming off again this morning then thought I should try the window before going too far. Reconnected the switch and it worked, sweet. Tried the passenger window and it worked too. Cycled the ignition and the drivers side wont work again. Fiddled around some more and it worked and then stopped and then you can guess, intermittent fault.... What a pain in the butt.

Metered out the switches an they seem to operate ok but I am now thinking it has to be a wiring issue and now on the hunt for a wiring diagram to begin tracking down the issue.

I don't have any books on the 911, was a topic I have been meaning to raise. Will look into it more now.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Russ for the idea, no I haven't but I have ruled out the ignition and fuses etc as I have 12volt connected directly to the window switch from an external source.

So what I have found out from testing with a multimeter is that the switches have 5 pins of which two are +12 (jumped) one is negative and the center two go to the window motor which have +12 on each on each when the switch is in it's normal position. What the switch does is switch the negative to one of the window motor pins giving you +12 or -12 to the window motor.

Now knowing this it is as simple as putting 12volt straight onto the two window motor wires and the window will go up, reverse them and the window will go down. If nothing happens you have a stuffed motor.

My window motor is intermittent. Works for a few goes then stops. Leave it for a while and it works again. Guessing I have a contact going open circuit when hot.

Now knowing this it is as simple as putting 12volt straight onto the two window motor wires and the window will go up, reverse them and the window will go down. If nothing happens you have a stuffed motor.

My window motor is intermittent. Works for a few goes then stops. Leave it for a while and it works again. Guessing I have a contact going open circuit when hot.

So the window motor works?

Depends on which way the wind is blowing and which cheek I have my tongue in... :wacko: 

After some more reading I am about to head back to the garage for another play. I think the motor is the issue as I can put 12volt to it direct and sometimes it will work and other times it does SFA.

Also if you have the 100 thing to do with your 911 book - essential for anyone with an impact bumper style 911 there is a chapter on this including photos. If you need me to flick you a scam let me know.

I found the first page of this book on Google but then the full article on PP so i'm all good for now but thank you very much for the offer.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/78-Window_Regulator/78-Window_Regulator.htm

Here you go - these books i have found are invaluable:

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-911SC-Essential-Companion/dp/184584002X

http://www.amazon.com/Projects-Porsche-1964-1989-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760308535/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Also Caver has a full print out of the entire wiring loom for the car - ask he where he sourced his from as he was playing around with my light / clock issues a few months back.

A window motor may fail and that's unavoidable with any older car.  The two biggest causes are a sticky switch such as Russ mentioned, and the window channel strips themselves.  Once they go old and hard they jam the window pretty badly.  They are easy and cheap to replace and make a HUGE difference.  Pulling the motor out is not too bad a job, certainly easier than the %&^# regulator unit!

Thanks Doish13 I will look at both of these.

Thanks Steamwolf, I will have a closer look at the window channel felt as it may be part of the problem.

I pulled the motor and regulator out and couldn't find any issues. Re-greased everything and reinstalled and still the same issue. Pulled it out again and just installed the regulator and manually the window slides up and down without too much resistance. Did some more bench testing of the window motor and it is intermittent. A very light tap while power is applied will free it and off it goes but I think it's a sign it's on its way out and the source of my trouble.

I spoke to James at Autohaus this afternoon, their not a cheap part but I think I will order one for each side and new window felt and then I should be trouble free.

I hate intermittent faults.

A very light tap while power is applied will free it and off it goes but I think it's a sign it's on its way out and the source of my trouble.

Pull motor apart and find "why"

Maybe overloaded if window channels old?

Maybe brushes worn?

Many parts can be refurbished by the inquisitive or impoverished. 

1 but it takes a long time to eat the piece of cake.

Not a hard job at all just time consuming. I had the drivers door done (minus the door trim back on) in less than an hour but I had it all apart before and had already cleaned off the old grease and regressed everything. The passenger side took longer as I hadn't had it completely apart before so a couple of the bolts needed as bit of heat to free them up and I had to pull the regulator out and clean and regrease it.

To replace the rubbers I pulled the window frames right out which made for a very easy job. I think it took me longer to fish one of the bolts out I dropped in the inner door than it did to pull the two frames out and fit the rubbers and refit them.

Archived