New project for me

Hey guess what I just picked up off ebay :) Taken from a 74 model no less, quite the coincidence!

Nice score Wobbly, looks like we've got a trackday special on its way... :)

Kerry

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its a 91 model 3.6 which I picked up recently. The intake is custom, but I think I'm going to ditch the airbox and go for some pod filters (if they will fit) or just some screens on top of the bellmouths. Its apparently an autronics fuel injection system on it which sits quite high, so its more a matter of what fits with an early model carrera whale tail (the current airbox looks like its set up for an opened up high turbo tail). Also has dual MSD ignition, cup style headers & muffler.

According to the guy I bought it off it dynos about 230hp at the back wheels, so @ 15% loss that should be about 260-270hp at the crank, which makes it about the same as a 964RS motor. Of course this will be about 150kg lighter than a 964RS :)

Its a 91 model 3.6 which I picked up recently. The intake is custom, but I think I'm going to ditch the airbox and go for some pod filters (if they will fit) or just some screens on top of the bellmouths. Its apparently an autronics fuel injection system on it which sits quite high, so its more a matter of what fits with an early model carrera whale tail (the current airbox looks like its set up for an opened up high turbo tail). Also has dual MSD ignition, cup style headers & muffler.

According to the guy I bought it off it dynos about 230hp at the back wheels, so @ 15% loss that should be about 260-270hp at the crank, which makes it about the same as a 964RS motor. Of course this will be about 150kg lighter than a 964RS :)

OK, you'd think it would be putting out more than that with ITBs, that's what a 20hp increase over a stock 964? I guess torque and throttle response will be up though. What gear box are you using? I grew up in Black Rock a suburb over, if you need a hand yell out, when you get it together we can race down Beach Road!!

Yeah, its not a huge amount over stock but I believe its just running the stock cams, so increases will be limited by that + stock compression. Depends on what dyno you read it from as well I guess, as they all vary quite considerably even adjusting for atmospherics. Will be fun sticking it in, which I figure will be a good winter project, along with the brake upgrade. I might take you up on your offer of help, as I can see myself pinned under the motor at some point in the process :lol:

Yeah, its not a huge amount over stock but I believe its just running the stock cams, so increases will be limited by that + stock compression. Depends on what dyno you read it from as well I guess, as they all vary quite considerably even adjusting for atmospherics. Will be fun sticking it in, which I figure will be a good winter project, along with the brake upgrade. I might take you up on your offer of help, as I can see myself pinned under the motor at some point in the process :lol:

It looks like it's been pulled from a race car so probably tuned on the rich, safe side.

Hehe, I have an ATV jack you're welcome to borrow, makes getting them in there a bit easier.

Just not a fan of the flat nose look unless it was running a real 935 body kit and that would be ... excessive :)

Gearbox wise I'm going to start with my mag case 915 and see what transpire (e.g. if I can drive it nicely enough to not break it into tiny, tiny pieces). The guy selling the motor was also selling a strengthened alloy 915, but wanted a pretty penny for it.

In terms of getting the motor in/out, I was actually thinking about trying to find a half height hoist and wedging it into the shed. Anyone had any experience with that??

• 1 month later...

So my parts collecting continues ... managed to locate some 930 rear control arms in Canada and brought them back in my luggage from last week's trip to SFO after getting them shipped down. Spending less than 100 bucks on shipping from Canada to SFO worked out a lot cheaper than the 600+ they wanted to ship to AU, and Qantas seemed all too happy to bring them back on my account with charging me a nickel :)

197350_10150123362848598_567868597_6669634_6265906_n.jpg

Now I need some camber boxes to get welded onto the undertray of the car, which I figure I can probably do when I get the suspension worked over once my @&*^#^ strut inserts ever turn up from the shonky ebay guy I bought the S model front struts from :angry:

Ok, so I was going to contact Stan Adler about getting camber boxes (e.g. smart racing) welded up to my undertray as part of a suspension refresh and corner balancing, but have just found out the bugger has moved up to Qld :P

Anyone have any recommendations of who else to go to for this sort of work as well as general suspension work & fettling? :blink:

I love the Slanty front, it's really grown on me.

Will you be maintaining the stack/trumpet lengths, as they seem very long? (I think the 3.6 drops off power at about 6k?)

But very nice project you have ahead of you!

The inlet stacks are fairly long ... will need to get rid of the airbox and runs filters on the bell mouths (which protrude even farther).

Just need to find time to work on the thing.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good suspension shop that know porkers and who aren't shy of using an oxy/mig/tig??

Archived