New project for me

Ok, so finally got the car back from the garage after its roadworthy and got the chance to take a couple of pics ... not the greatest day for happy snaps, but not much choice in the matter :)

I did find out that the old yokos on the rear are truely shot, particularly in the wet :lol:

911%20Slope%20Nose%20Sea%201.jpg

911%20Slope%20Nose%20Sea%202.jpg

911%20Slope%20Nose%20Sea%203.jpg

911%20Slope%20Nose%20Sea%204.jpg

911%20Slope%20Nose%20Sea%205.jpg

911%20Slope%20Nose%20Sea%206.jpg

Plans are to return to stock shape and sell the slope nose front end (including bonnet) and go to a glass front end, then go on a diet :)

Plans are to return to stock shape and sell the slope nose front end (including bonnet) and go to a glass front end, then go on a diet :)

Great pics.

It does take a while for the eye to adjust for the slant nose shape.

I assume you'll maintain a wide body front-end. Nice.

Congratulations, looks fantastic. Always love White 911's there is just something about the shape in that colour that just looks so great.

I have always liked the white with the black trim.

Cheers guys ... yes, plan is to go with turbo front guards (since they're turbo rear guards and not RSR profiles) and with either the first generation whale tail or with the original duck tail and RS/IROC style bumpers. Colour will remain white. Was thinking of going with the typical carrera script on the side, and although appropriate its been done to death. Instead I was thinking of using the older style 911R porsche logo with the horizontal bars (ala http://www.toadhallracing.com/911R-Monterey.jpg ). On that theme maybe 911R indicators and a duck (rather than whale) tail.

That's down the road a bit though, in the meantime I need to find out where to get reasonably priced oil filters ... any suggestions other than your local porsche dealer, and are they deadly in price vs getting them from o/s?

For Oil filters and the like try Porschapart in Mordialloc. I have bought filters from there with no problem. It was some time ago but pretty sure they carry Mahle brand.And looking at the photos of your car it looks like the location was beach road so shouldnt be too far for you.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers again ... i'm in beaumaris and the pics were just down at the beach in mentone, so i'll give aporscheapart a go as they're just down the road from me.

Have been doing some reading on recommended oil and with all the formulation changes recently its enough to make your head spin. I picked up some penrite hpr30 20w-60 dino oil so will given that a burl as it seems to have decent zinc content. Will give the tranny a flush at the same time and a new set of plugs too. Given its been sitting for some time, anything else worth doing off the bat, apart from cleaning the air filter and general perishables, do you think?

Hey Wobbly,

Can't say as I've ever really seen the appeal of the ole slanty nose however..... after seeing that GORGEOUS 935 in at Porsche Australia recently, and now your very nice looking machine.... I might be coming around! :blink:

The pics, and more importantly, your car looks GREAT!

Looking forward to seeing it in person. Are you a starter for next Sundays mornings stroll?

Cheers,

Kerry

Thanks Kerry. Would be interested in a drive but have a couple of things that need doing first. Fresh oil and filter is one but is easily done. More importantly I need some rear rubber (which has to get ordered in from o/s) and sort out whether I have a charging problem or not (battery has run down a few times, seems to take quite a while for the alternator light to go off, though after it does it charges at around 13.5v, but might just be a dying battery)...

Well, unfortunately its an old mag case engine and the turbos would not only pull the case studs out but would eject the heads through the flanks of the car at a great rate of knots :lol:

So it'll have to be an original boddied rennsport knockoff instead. Plus I already have the plates for it ;)

Well something of a productive weekend ... the car is up on stands now and the wheels are off. Oil dumped and a new filter in place, and a brandy new air filter. Spent some time fitting a new steering wheel (momo protipo) though the boss doesn't seem to have the indicator cancel arms. Weird. Also installed my seine centering kit which was pretty straight forward, though my welding skills still aren't much chop, but good enough :) The weltmeister short shift went in at the same time. Next up is pulling off the valve covers and doing the clearances and a new stomache full of penrite's finest :)

Small things, but progress nonetheless...

Cheers Chris.

I got myself one of those little Z blocks from pparts along with a dial indicator and the nib extension ... anyone done clearances that way instead of the old feeler gauge? I figured it sounded more straightforward and accurate, but will find out in time I guess :)

On the down side I managed to lean on the shifter when it was sitting in the vice and I was welding the tab on it. That's forming into a nice blister now. Between that and stabbing my finger with a screwdriver I think I can say that the car has now taken its first bites :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived