Brake upgrade options

Wobbly

Hey folks ... got a bit of a quandary. The brakes on my 74 911 seem to be less than stellar, and require a whole lot of pedal pressure to get to work. While I'm sure things could be improved with flushing, line replacement, pads, discs, etc, I've got it in to me that what I really need is much shinier bling bling brakes :)

I bought a set of brembo 4 spot callipers a while ago and thought I had fallen into some good fortune, as they seem to measure 90mm from eye to eye which means they should just bolt straight up to the 911's 3.5" struts. Awesome! Unfortunately my 911 still runs the old strut bolt spacing (75mm) so this isn't much good for me.

I can either try and find some used later model struts with the 90mm spacing that should match the calliper ... or I could get the mounting lugs on the callipers cut and re-welded to suit (yikes) ... or I could sell these on to someone who has an SC or 3.2 (assuming they fit) and go for a set of cockster callipers with the right adapter brackets (easier since they are a radial caliper meaning that a backet for a 90mm mount can be relatively easily adapted for 75mm, and I could even look at varying the disc size from standard with the addition of a radial spacer plate).

Any ideas??

Anyone want a set of brembos with 90mm centres??

:blink:

Woobly,

I was told that to upgrade my '75's somewhat underwhelming brakes, the best, and most economical way was to use Boxster ones. The same size apparently...

Worth a quick question to the spare parts dept at Porsche Australia, or your local Porsche mechanic.

Kerry

That's what performance9 said as well ... they do an upgrade kit for under 2k including all 4 corners and discs which sounds pretty tempting, using standard m/c and no booster ... though it would be nice to use my pretty big brembos too :)

post-130-127484484457_thumb.jpg

post-130-127484485486_thumb.jpg

Hi Wobbly,

that upgrade from Performance 9 sounds pretty good. it would be a really worthwhile thing to do.

Also perhaps have a look at Pelican Parts in the US. i have bought stuff from them in the past. Excellent to deal with and speedy delivery. i bought a Wevo Short Shifter kit from them for the 930 I had and it was at my place in Cheltenham 3 days after i paid for it.

Cheers

Chris

Yeah, I got myself a new momo protipo & boss kit, weltmeister short shift, hub vent blockoff and z block from PParts and the shipping was super quick ... same I guess, ordered on friday, added stuff to the order over the weekend (when they were still working out of hours) and it lobbed up on my doorstep on the wednesday. Shipping was about 80 bucks. Pretty impressive stuff.

It's not a simple matter of bolting the caliper to your struts.

I don't know what caliper you have (there are many brembo calipers) but in general for the front you will need an adapter to get the alignment with the rotors right. You probably would need a 3 piece front rotors kit to suit. The rears are even harder.

I have fitted 993 calipers on a mid 911 before. There are various adapter kits and rotors for the front, the rears need machining work to the calipers but can use 930 rear rotors.

Try google '911 brake upgrade bill verburg' there is very useful information about this topic.

• 2 months later...

I sort of have come to a conclusion ... I flip flopped around a little but decided I wanted to build into a reasonably period correct 74 RS 3.0 ... so I've decided to go the 930 turbo brake route as this is closest to period correct. So far I've managed to assemble 3 calipers (both rears and one front) so I'm looking out for 1 more front caliper. Its a fairly rare thing to find just 1 of course, so I'm thinking about buying a brand new one which you still look like you can order through pelican parts (at about 700 bucks US a piece). I'm now debating with myself whether to take the easy, most cost effective and practical route and have the rear calipers machined down for the standard 75mm spacing .... or stick with my period guns and buy some turbo trailing arms and weld in some rear camber boxes to fit them.

I've just finally put together a spreadsheet that lists out the things I want to do and approx cost.

I think I'm going to delete it.

If you think your brakes need upgrading you should try my 912 discs! They work in a slow you down kind of way, but they'll have to do for now. If you want to on sell your calipers and disks(if they are good) in the coming months can you let me know. Just had a major service so pennies are non existent right now.I also have a feeling that to get a good pedal you need to go boosted brakes.There is also a firm in Melbourne called Race Brakes,44 Racecourse Road, North Melbourne ph.9326 6088 who might be worth consulting for options. Also if you want to compete in PCV sprints, consult the Competition Rules first re Classes and modifications.

Regards

Paul Miniken.

Cheers Paul. I am looking at going to an assisted setup, which itself isn't cheap! It will be a little while until I finish assembling all the bits but once I do the conversion I'll look to sell the old calipers and discs and measure them up then for wear :)

Thanks, absolutely no rush. By the way, we seem to have the same Simmons wheels(15x7 and 8?) and I like your slant nose. IMHO Martini stripes and a 993 GT2 rear wing, would make it look wild and take advantage of the wedge shape. Gold centre the wheels.

Cheers

Paul M

I've actually got a strange combination of 15x7 fronts and 16x9 rears (I think) ... they are originally gold centres but were powdercoated black. I'm going to go back to the original frog light wings and go with IROC bumpers front and rear :)

I've seen the RSR classics website but haven't talked to them yet ... I've emailed the guy at 911parts a bunch of times and have had very bad response (mostly ignored) so I'm quite wary of that as the last thing I want to do is buy something, send him money and then not hear from him for 6 months. I was also going to see what (if anything) performance9 has as they also have GRP wings...

Stan Adler @ Performance 9 seems like a reasonably helpful guy and races a car of similar vintage to yours. You might also talk to Mike Tankard in Melbourne(Ferntree Gully??) ph.0418 519 638 who manufactures fibreglass parts for Porsches.

Archived