A few questions on handling improvements on a 79SC.

MaxzmusSC

Thought I would take some PM chatter MaxzmusSC and I are having on Wevo mounts and other fun stuff and share it with the group ...

I've been tracking the car for about two years now. It's extremely addictive.

Some of the comments on the thread talk about driving it before spending too much money. I would tend to agree. There are some very fast guys out on the track and it doesn't always come down to horsepower. They know their cars and can get 101% out of them.

I'd highly recommend joining up with the Porsche club. It's cheap and you have your choice of supersprints or motorkhanas (wet and dry courses on a skid pan). I suffer from "shiny kit" syndrome which is a desire to keep buying new stuff, but the best investments I've spent recently are on driver training days. Before I bought my Porsche I did two days up at Mt Cotton with Porsche. I recently did a day of theory and practice down at Wakefield Park with PR Technology. It is THE cheapest way to get faster. But as the saying goes: What part of "Porsche Motorsport" did you think was going to be cheap? Porsche or Motorsport?  :)

I was also lucky enough to know what type of car I wanted when I went shopping. I want to end up doing a Targa Tasmania so needed a car ready to go. That means it's not necessarily going to be comfortable, or matching numbers, but the big investment costs were already sunk. The general consensus was the cost of my car was equal to the development costs to get it where it is. I've seen the receipts and they probably understated the costs a bit  :).The engine and transmission are still stock and to be honest there's at least another $40k in development costs in that area yet to go!!

My car has all the suspension pieces I mentioned, plus a 3.2 litre engine, turbo tie rods, turbo valve covers, upgraded diff cover plate, oil cooler with thermostat fan, CAMS roll cage, six point harnesses, race seats, Boxster front calipers with Carrera rotors all round, brake cooling ducts, M&K 2 out exhaust, SSIs, short shift kit, electric cutout points, rally computer, intercoms, no AC, no carpets, no sound insulation, no radio, backdated heating, a thousand other tiny details that most won't even notice, blah blah blah - but there are still guys who whoop my arse on the track with less powerful machines.

As to handling, though, it is superb. The feel on the track is like nothing else I've ever driven. It reminds me of the princess and the pea story where she felt the pea under a dozen mattresses. It's that good. What I've been learning, though, is how to translate that feel into an analysis of the car dynamics and how to correct it - I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment on how and when to adjust sway bar settings to suit the day.

I'll say it again, though. You'll be surprised how well stock runs. If it were me I'd take your car down to someone like Autohaus Hamilton or PR Tech and say "I want to take this supersprinting. Have a look and tell me what I need at a minimum (eg helmet, fire extinguisher, L2S CAMS licence). Then corner balance it".

And off you go down the slippery slope ...

131814_10201834438238045_1141852327_o.jp

Mine is still street-able. Does the Woolies shop occasionally. Yes it's Eastern Creek - I think they call it Brock corner (just past turn 15).

If you want to see some real shiny kit, on a double-black-run type scale ,you should ask SydR to open up the boot on his SC and take some photos for you :). I'm sure he flashed right by me just after the photo above was taken!!!

Getting back to Syds comments about low aspect tyres, I should have mentioned that both my 15 and 16 inch wheels had low aspect R rated tyres on, so the overall gearing was different. I can see his point that you could chase the same rolling diameter by using 16's with low aspect tyres to get similar gearing either way. Thats the opposite of my point though, as i was pointing out how the car zinged along on the 15's. Its an old racers trick to use smaller wheels to sharpen acceleration.

Syd, i just saw your motor on another thread! Very nice indeed. I had heard that your 911 was very well engineered, and quick! Clever sausages those Autohaus chaps. I've enjoyed reading up on their work for Bill Pye and Jeff David. Sometimes its a damned nuisance being on the other side of the country. I'd love to get tangled up in their 911 rally endeavours.

Syd, i just saw your motor on another thread! Very nice indeed. I had heard that your 911 was very well engineered, and quick! Clever sausages those Autohaus chaps. I've enjoyed reading up on their work for Bill Pye and Jeff David. Sometimes its a damned nuisance being on the other side of the country. I'd love to get tangled up in their 911 rally endeavours.

Thanks Simon, yes that's my motor.  I've had the car since new, and AutoHaus has looked after it and serviced it for around 25 years.  I guess that says something about the car and their service.  Naturally, when the old engine started getting a bit noisy they were a natural to rebuild it for me.  Because I have owned the car for so long, I wasn't particularly budget conscious.  Also, I believe in recycling . . . . .

They do good stuff with the rally cars, too, and are doing more and more competition prep.  For a reasonable fee, they will take your competition wheels to the track, and look after you/your car on the day.  I've seen them grow from a good service provider to encompass far more sophisticated services, but looking after your every day car is still their bread and butter business.  You, as a customer, take your pick of what you need. 

JustJames, also on this forum, joined them a few years ago and set up and runs their spares when Grant, the owner, felt that he could/should provide more competitively priced parts for clients who service their cars with his business or who want to buy and service the cars themselves. I mention JustJames because while I have zero commercial interest in AutoHaus, he is one of my many children.  I would not have suggested he join them at the time if I did not rate the company.  So it is a pity that you are so far away if you need/want a more intensive service experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.....I just had to come back and add what a massive improvement engine, transmission mounts and koni yellow adjustable have made to the car. It's no longer nervous under braking and direction transition. Absolutely amazing. I can't see myself needing higher spec torsion bars or sway bars for some time.

She needs better braking and one of those Wevo shifters and I'll be very happy as is. No wonder these cars are so sort after. I really had no idea what I was in for.

Cheers,

Will.

Archived